Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

zoe

zoe Report 19 Aug 2003 17:44

Does anyone know a quick way of searching for someone who fought in the first world war (other than PRO)? I have my great grandfathers Army service number from grandfathers birth cert unfortunately have no details of him other than what appears on my grandfathers birth cert and i cannot read the regiment. Help?!?!

David_Vickers

David_Vickers Report 19 Aug 2003 19:04

Zoe You could write to the Ministry of Defence to see whether there is any way that they can trace your great grandfather's regiment from his service number. Theoretically, this should be possible, though they may charge a search fee. Did your great grandfather survive the First World War? If not, it would be worth checking the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website at www(.)cwgc(.)org - don't forget to take out the brackets. CWGC have an extensive database though it is by no means certain that all who died are recorded there. The amount of detail can also vary. Best of luck with your search. David Vickers

zoe

zoe Report 20 Aug 2003 21:26

David, Thanks for reply, I don't think he died as I have already checked the CWGC with his service number and no luck there although lots of people I know have had good results from their website. I was just hoping there would be an easy way of finding out info!! Zoë

zoe

zoe Report 21 Aug 2003 16:59

Max, I actually work right next to the PRO at Kew how easy is it to find items there? From their website seems quite complicated and longwinded so has put me off going. zoë