Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Decoder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 19 Aug 2003 15:41

I know i must be the thickest person in the universe, but could someone explain to me please how to gain access to the Decoder? I go into the site, click on what I think is the right installation and then a screen comes up "are you sure you want to open or save this file etc etc". Am I sure? I really don't know - so then I escape. I really do not know what I am doing - is there a complete idiots guide somewhere - and I mean a complete idiots guide. Help required please.......Jacqui

Maxine

Maxine Report 19 Aug 2003 15:45

Hi Jacqui Have a stiff Gin, and then click on "YES" you are sure you want to download! The rest should be self explanitary after that. You always get warnings like this with windows , just confirm and carry on. Regards Maxine

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 19 Aug 2003 18:10

Thanks Maxine - just poured a large red it usually frees my inhibitiions - its just that i'm so computer illiterate and terrified that i wont be in control of the computer - wierd eh? its not like its an alien force or anything - i'm probably just too old for this lark. Jacqui

Maxine

Maxine Report 19 Aug 2003 20:03

Hi Jacqui Don't worry , alot of my friends have the same problem - the assumption is if the computer questions something, it must be worthy of the question! The thing is , it ususally isn't. It is usually microsoft being over protective. In different global market to the UK, the culture is very much "I have jumped off this bridge - I am therefore going to sue you because you didn't tell me not to" If you see what I mean!!! Anyway you can pour me a large glass of red too - as I have to go and write an assignment for the Open University!!! (violins playing loudly, lol) Maxine

Mary

Mary Report 19 Aug 2003 20:16

Jacqui. Did you get it?. Mary

Mary

Mary Report 19 Aug 2003 21:53

Jacqui. How are you getting on with 1901.? Mary

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 Aug 2003 16:17

Maxine - I have downloaded the Census Decoder - it now appears as a logo on my opening screen - is that right? Now what do I do? I have poured another glass of red, but for the life of me don't know what to do with it. Incompetent idiot Jacqui Mary - if you see this - i have e-mailed you but don't know if you will receive it as this blessed thing seems to have a will of its own today - unless I have the "virus" and don't know it! Jacqui

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 20 Aug 2003 18:13

Jacqui - You drink the red and throw everything else out of the window!!! At least thats how I felt today - i'm so glad it's not just me who feels inadequate with this new technology. Although i've come to the conclusion that it's just a bit of plastic, glass and metal and I WILL NOT LET IT TAKE CONTROL!! Well that's the theory. Happy hunting - Sue.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 20 Aug 2003 19:28

hiya, what site is this on - the decoder that is

Jacqueline

Jacqueline

Andy

Andy Report 20 Aug 2003 20:08

The site you want is http://www(.)censusdecoder(.)com/