Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1837 online UK census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

cookie

cookie Report 19 Aug 2003 11:04

can anyone please tell me how to access this census online (yep, I'm a novice!)

Angela

Angela Report 19 Aug 2003 11:08

Hi, I think you are confusing 1837 online for BMDs and the census. Census dates are as follows: 1801 - 10th March 1811 - 23rd May 1821 - 28th May 1831 - 30th May 1841 - 7th June 1851 - 30th March 1861 - 7th April 1871 - 2nd April 1881 - 3rd April 1891 - 5th April 1901 - 31st March You can access 1901 online, 1891 via ancestry and transcription of 1881 on LDS. You can not access any census info after 1901 because of the 100 years rule. If you need help with links etc let me know.

Janet

Janet Report 19 Aug 2003 16:49

Are you thinking of this one: http://freecen(.)rootsweb(.)com/ ? They are trying to give access to Census returns between 1841 and 1891 but there seems to be very little available so far, I've tried them several times. If anyone knows where I can get info on Norfolk for 1841 I should be very grateful. Jan.

Laurie

Laurie Report 19 Aug 2003 20:16

Hi Lorraine, Have you tried the census finder on the bottom of the links page? Laurie

Michael

Michael Report 19 Aug 2003 20:43

Hi Lorraine, I subscribed to that site, bought fifty units, (they gave me a further five), now down to 47 units and have still not gained accesss. I did download the djvu, it takes quite a while to download, still could not get on, have given up for now, will try again when I have more time. I realize that this is no good to you, just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Regards Mick.

Michael

Michael Report 19 Aug 2003 20:51

Hi again Lorraine, Have just gone back a page or two and apparently others have been having problems as well. Although I am still having problems, it seems that the main fault is that not long enough is allowed, (by us), for the djvu to download. Regards again, Mick.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Aug 2003 21:56

To enable the DjVu viewer to run you may need to enable cookies. Advice is given on the download instructions for doing this on explorer 5 and 6 (No I didn't understand either but just followed the instructions and it worked. Ann Glos