Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 18 Aug 2003 09:06

DOes anyone know of any websites that have 1871 census info. I have tried posting on this board but got no replies. Thanks Lynne

JillGr

JillGr Report 18 Aug 2003 11:34

Lynne, For some reason the 1871 census seems to be the most difficult to get hold of. I need info from the 1871 census for Whitby in N Yorks. The only place I know I can access it is Whitby Library and that is 200 miles away. The County Records Office in Northallerton don't appear to hold it. The only thing I can suggest is to try the library for the area you are searching. Jill

Lynne

Lynne Report 19 Aug 2003 08:49

Thanks Jill and Gwynneth I have been thinking of going to my local LDS for some time but have not got round to it yet. Now I've got back to the mid 1800's maybe it's time to join and see what they have to offer. Thanks again. Lynne

Cherry

Cherry Report 20 Aug 2003 13:35

Please tell me where I can look at the 1871 census without going up to the records office in London. What is the LDS? thanks Cherry

Lynne

Lynne Report 20 Aug 2003 13:50

Cherry The LDS is the church of the latter day saints (mormons) and have census and other records. Go to their website from the links on this page (familysearch.org) and you should be able to search for one in your area. You cannot get 1871 census online but some members of GC have them on CD. Hope this helps. Lynne Sale CHS

Cherry

Cherry Report 20 Aug 2003 21:01

Lynne - thanks for the reply. I have used the mormon site for the 1881 census, etc. but did not connect the 'LDS' abbreviation. It would be great if more census records were online. Cherry