Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre 1824

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dave & Sally

Dave & Sally Report 17 Aug 2003 18:30

Hi, We have traced back to Frederick savage Born either 1820 or 1824 (depending where you look). Need to find his parents. Tried Freebmd. he married Mary Ann born 1830 died 1868. Need her maiden name. Any suggestions. Should be Somerset area, but who knows Thanks Sally

Mystified

Mystified Report 17 Aug 2003 18:38

Only a suggestion that may work. Go on to Free BMD put in Fred's name then put in Mary's christian name. I would guess at years say 1848 to 1858 for marriage. Try Somerset first then surrounding counties then whole of Uk, in that order. Yiu may have to pick your time for doing as BMD gets 'clogged up' This with a bit of luck, if they have both been transcribed will give you her name. John

Dave & Sally

Dave & Sally Report 17 Aug 2003 18:49

Thanks John. Tried that but no luck ! Is there any www that I can look up births about 1820? sally

Twinkle

Twinkle Report 17 Aug 2003 19:08

There was no central register in 1824, so you'll probably need to start ploughing through parish registers. It's hit and miss as to whether the one you want has made it onto the net. You could try the LDS website (familysearch.org), or, if you're prepared to wait, FreeREG may be useful.

Mystified

Mystified Report 17 Aug 2003 19:52

Ok, Now comes the hard bit and the fun. First try as suggested LDS Then I am afraid it's the Parish registers. You will either have to visit the archive office for the area, try the local family history soc. or appeal on here for someone who lives near to them to have a look for you. If it is Wilts I can help but if Somerset it's too far away for me. John

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 17 Aug 2003 19:58

David You could try ringing the records office in the area you need they may do a search at a cost but it's worth a try. If you don't ask you don't get!! Ann,Darlington