Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

needing help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie

Jackie Report 17 Aug 2003 10:57

i am trying to find birthplace of my greatgrandad. although he lived married and died in scotland i think he was born in ireland. there is no records of him on census either, could anyone advise me where to try next . i have his year of birth and parents names. i am going round in circles any help appreciated thanks , jackie

Alison

Alison Report 17 Aug 2003 11:00

Hi If you put the names and any dates or places of birth marriage etc that you have already on here then someone might be able to help you. ALison

Jackie

Jackie Report 17 Aug 2003 11:21

thanks allison heres hoping ,his name was james mccarroll born in 1887. his parents were thomas mccarroll and jane her maiden name skelley,dont have much else regards jackie

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Aug 2003 16:40

Hi Jackie, Do you have the marriage and death dates? Where were the M & D? What was his occupation? DO you have any addresses? Regards Margaret

Jackie

Jackie Report 17 Aug 2003 19:53

hi margaret . you have helped me before doing a census look up have now moved my search to ireland which i am finding really difficult. i have marriage cert and death cert both in glasgow. address where he lived and died . his occupation changed alot but when my grandad was born he was a marine engineer . feel as if i am going round in circles. regards jackie

Eileen

Eileen Report 18 Aug 2003 23:06

Hi Jackie, i have today been to the records office and looked through the parish records for St Mary, St James and St Simons but havn't come across James Mccarroll, so i then went to the registry office but they wouldn't look up the church saying i had to buy the certificate, sorry if i can be of anyassistance in the future let me know regards Eileen

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Aug 2003 02:01

go to Rootsweb.com scroll down the left until you get to ' message boards' then go to 'surnames' find the surname you want.there are lots of messages on the board relevant to the names you want.you can also post a request here for info on the name you are interested in.There is other help available here to those like myself researching Ireland

Jackie

Jackie Report 19 Aug 2003 07:58

thanks very much for you help, im sure i will come across him eventually. never realised it would be so difficult. thanks again its much appreciated regards jackie