Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mystified

Mystified Report 16 Aug 2003 07:34

Whilst it may be obvious I have a relative on the 1901 census who is a 'vocalist'. What does that mean? Professional singer? Music Hall Vocal trainer? Church choir? Any ideas? Thanks John

Alison

Alison Report 16 Aug 2003 15:19

Hi there, I searched through my information but to no avail i'm afraid. The closest i got to was a vocabularist - one who compiles dictionaries. I expect you are right a vocalist is a singer of some sort, but as to where that may remain a mystery. Sorry i cannot be of more help Alison

Mystified

Mystified Report 16 Aug 2003 16:15

Thanks for that Alison. Still a mystery in a way. Anymore takers?

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 Aug 2003 16:22

Several weeks ago, someone recommended an address to write to - as another member had a relative described as a 'comedian'. Sorry, can't find the relevant posting looking thru' Board - maybe someone else can remember. The outcome, I remember, was successful. Hazel

Mystified

Mystified Report 16 Aug 2003 17:33

Hazel, I remember that and was hoping whoever it was might see the message. John

Mystified

Mystified Report 16 Aug 2003 17:46

Thanks for that Lynda, I am looking at now. By the way anybody looking it's .co.uk on the end. I will mail them.

Mystified

Mystified Report 17 Aug 2003 07:47

Hi all and esp. Lynda. What a cracking site. I mailed them and they responded very quickly. Couldn't help me more but I would urge anyone to look at it.

Pinkie

Pinkie Report 17 Aug 2003 08:08

john hi,well dont know if this will help but im classed as a vocalist and i sing for a living weather it be on my own or in a duo. sorry i cant be of more help tinaxx

Mystified

Mystified Report 17 Aug 2003 10:36

Thanks Tina, What got me thinking was as she was Welsh and possibly 'Chapel' then musical vocalist or singer might have been a bit risque for the time. I don't know?