Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1891 lookup please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 15 Aug 2003 11:51

Edward Medley Born 1876 possibly oldham or Manchester. Father David not Jacob. Thank you Shirley.

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 15 Aug 2003 14:58

Thank you for looking Rosemary. Jacob does keep turning up. Edwards was born in Oldham I have his Marriage certificate and it says his father was David. Lancashire Registry office can't find the birth certificate either. I am at a loss what to do now unless I pay for a search at the GRO. Any ideas please. Shirley

Heather

Heather Report 15 Aug 2003 15:24

Shirley who were the witnesses on the marriage cert sometimes they are family - if we can find another member of the family it might give a clue as to david's mystery, alternatively david could be jacob's middle name a lot of people used to be called by their middle names - even my own parents are known by their middle names and i suspect that only immediate family know any diffent hevi

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 15 Aug 2003 15:38

Hello Heather You may have something there. The witnesses are Joseph Headen or Meaden and Ada Bardsley. Edward Medley was married in 1899. I did get the 1901 census up for Ada Bardsley she turned out to be a ten year old daughter of Joseph H Bardsley and Sophia A Bardsley. Do you think Sophia's middle name was Ada and she was the witness? Shirley.

Heather

Heather Report 15 Aug 2003 15:49

looks like it could be i did try your look up earlier but couldnt find anything only the jacob, do you know who david's wife was

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 15 Aug 2003 16:03

Heather Thats part of my problem. I am afraid not. I only know what is on the marriage certificate. Shirley

Heather

Heather Report 15 Aug 2003 16:11

shirley where was edward living at the date of his marriage? have you found a will for him? hevi

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 15 Aug 2003 17:09

Heather is address was 11 Newtown Street Oldham. Where would I look for a will? Shirley

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 17 Aug 2003 21:33

Hello Rosemar At the time of Edwards marriage in 1899 he was living at 11 Newtown Street Oldham. which could have been the family home. In 1901.Edward was living with his wife in Oldham If Jacob Medley's address in 1891 was 11 Newtown Street he could possibly be Edwards father using his second name. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say Rosemary. Shirley.

Heather

Heather Report 17 Aug 2003 22:34

Hi Shirley the address for jacob in 1891 is 24 bush road chesterton oldham so its not him re the will if you write to the York District Probate Registry, Postal and Search Dept, you should be able to get the address of the internet, if you cant email me and i'll get it from work for you on tuesday provide them with the full name and address and date of death, it will cost £5 for a copy of the Will and £5 for a copy of the Grant of Probate please be aware that if they cant find a will for him your money will be lost and also be aware that not all wills are proved hevi

Shirlock

Shirlock Report 17 Aug 2003 22:45

Heather Thank you so much for this info. I will get the address thanks. Shirley