Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tip for Frustrated 1861/1871 Census Seekers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 15 Aug 2003 10:01

I know from the numbers of posts I have seen just this week that there are a number of other frustrated people out there who are trying to get hold of earlier census information but like me aren't able to pop to a local FHC or similar...... Well, I've done a bit of digging and found http://www(.)archivecdbooks(.)com/ This company offer a number of different types of books to order including censuses on CD by county. To review what is currently available for England go to http://www(.)rod-neep(.)co(.)uk/books/census/index(.)htm#projects This link also explains how the project works and how to use the CD when it arrives. You will notice that the price of CDs varies a lot from county to county, but this is all to do with supply and demand. Unfortunately for me I still need to wait a while. Ho hum, still I might answer the unanswered questions soon ..... someone else order Hampshire 1861 please :-)

Debbie

Debbie Report 15 Aug 2003 13:40

Angela I want Hampshire too £51 Im going to have to save up, very interesting thankyou for letting us know of that site. I will let you know if I get round to buying it then I will be able to do look ups. Debbie

Angela

Angela Report 15 Aug 2003 14:31

I'm hoping the price will come down if there's enough interest as I agree 50 odd pounds is a lot of money. I'll also be happy to do look ups once I have it but you will need a good idea of where the people lived (from birth certificates and similar) as there is no search facility - but the site does give some useful tips on how to do the search.

Tracy

Tracy Report 15 Aug 2003 14:43

Just to let you know there is a site called www(.)stepping-stones(.)co(.)uk which covers Censuses from 1841 to 1871, and the 1861 Census for Hampshire is only £29.95!

Katwin

Katwin Report 15 Aug 2003 16:06

If you join a Family History Society for the County in which you are searching, you will probably be able to purchase census disks for about £3 for each registration district of that County. You may even find your relations are members of the society and doing the same family search.