Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Connecting branches on genes connected

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 14 Aug 2003 10:51

Hi, I'm new to this. Would appreciate some advice. Is it possible to link family lines, I have relatives who are distant cousins, so they need to be linked back to the common ancestor, and I don't know how to do this? Janice

Maxine

Maxine Report 14 Aug 2003 11:05

Hi Janice I am afraid there is no easy way to do this. You need to build your tree up from yourself, until you come to the common ancestor, nad then build it back down from that common ancestor (presumably the parent of 2 siblings that you are both descended from), down the other line to you distant cousin. If you don't know the common ancestor, then you have a problem! Regards Maxine

Janice

Janice Report 14 Aug 2003 11:14

So that means that each person will be listed twice? Janice.

Michael

Michael Report 14 Aug 2003 13:01

Janice The simplest way is to do it in another peice of software. These tend to have the facility to link different branches when found. Then delete the tree in GC and then replace it with the new one. I am in the process of doing exactly that at the moment. Mike

Vera

Vera Report 14 Aug 2003 14:17

Hi everyone I got an email from Admin explaining how to do this, but as I can be thick sometimes I found it hard to understand their reasoning. So..I tried it. I looked on My Contacts and found a cousin who had contacted me/I had contacted concerning a family name. Where it states you can LINK to this person click on that and it gives you the opportunity to choose a name from a drop down list. This person will be the common ancestor of both of you. Click on that name and follow the instructions. When you look at Your Contacts page again it will tell you who you have linked with and there should be an interlinked sign like a double OO on your name on your Tree. Doing it this way, Michael, you do not have to delete your tree, add theirs and then input the whole back onto GC. Janice - yes there will be duplicate names if both you and your cousin add them onto GC, which is what happened with my cousin in the early days of GC - we didn't know any better then. The idea is to LINK the Trees without duplicating all the names. You can add the new names to your own Family Tree software on your PC. I hope I have got this right as I wrote it from memory. Yours Vera, Manchester