Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pam Haile

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 13 Aug 2003 20:42

We recently had a surprise to find that my husband's grandad had been married twice and an even greater surprise to find that there were 2 children from this first marriage born 1896 and 1899. They are registered in 1901 with his sister in law in Egremont, Cumbria. How can I try and trace them in this century?

Angela

Angela Report 13 Aug 2003 21:00

If this is all the information you have to go then you may have to do some waiting. I have a similar situation where my great great grandmother remarried and had 4 more children sometime after 1902. This is the kind of situation where it would be great to have the 1911 census!! The only other suggestion would be to "hazzard a guess" that they got married 1915-1925 (judging by the ages) and that they stayed in the same area. But even that would mean trawling through loads more records. Maybe someone else has some bright ideas? :-/?

Helen

Helen Report 13 Aug 2003 21:02

If they have fairly uncommon names, how about trying to trace marriages on 1837 online site? Could cost a few quid though! If not, maybe electoral registers for the area?

Maxine

Maxine Report 13 Aug 2003 22:35

Hi Pam If you know the area you could try the local churches, most of them still have their parish records from 1900 onwards. Regards Maxine