Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuck Again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 13 Aug 2003 08:06

I have now managed to get my grandmothers and grandfathers marriage certificate. How do I go about getting their birth certificates when I do not know date of birth or where they were born?

Tracy

Tracy Report 13 Aug 2003 08:38

The marriage certificate will state their respective ages, so work back to find an approximate date of birth. You can then either check the censuses to see if you can find their details and scan 1837online and slowly work your way through their names to find a match. If you can leave their names, ages, residence, father's names, occupations and any other details here, I'm sure we will all do our best to help you find them!

Christine

Christine Report 13 Aug 2003 09:51

Tracey Thanks Will get back to you tomorrow - have left everything at home Chris

Christine

Christine Report 14 Aug 2003 07:42

Tracey The details from the marriage certificate are as follows: John Joseph Grace, 20 yrs, Chauffeur, 52 Church Street, Bootle ( His father was also John Joseph Grace and he was a Seaman. Emma Grigsby, 18yrs, Shop Assistant, 32 Province Road, Bootle. (her father was William Grigsby, Corporation Foreman. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Chris

Crista

Crista Report 14 Aug 2003 08:02

Chris, What year was the marriage? Crista

Tracy

Tracy Report 14 Aug 2003 08:31

Chris, Crista is right, if you can let us know the date or year of marriage, we can start working on it and hopefully provide you with some family! Tracy

Christine

Christine Report 14 Aug 2003 08:58

Date of marriage was 8th August 1931 You are all so kind for helping me out. Hope I can return the favour someday. Chris

Mystified

Mystified Report 14 Aug 2003 09:03

There is a John Grigsby aged 7 living in Bootle on the 1901 census. That would make him born around 1893-5 depending on his birthday. If it is him then search the GRO in your local library or alternatively look on 1837 or BMD John

Crista

Crista Report 14 Aug 2003 09:14

Chris, This is going to be a tough one because they were born after the 1901 census. You best bet is to look through 1837online for the birth records. I found this on FreeBMD. It's a marriage record for a William Grigsby in the district of West Derby and this includes Bootle. Marriages Jun 1902 Allen Ernest West Derby 8b 707 Grigsby William W. Derby 8b 707 Thomson Dora Jane West Derby 8b 707 Wakefield Annie W.Derby 8b 707 Crista

Crista

Crista Report 14 Aug 2003 09:20

Chris, Found some more. You might want to check this page. Maybe this was written by you? http://www.curiousfox(.)com/villages/lancashire/14689.lasso " Grace Family I am looking for anyone who might know of the whereabouts of my mothers's sisters, May and Doreen Grace. My mother was Dora Ann Grace and was moved to Shropshire to live with the Johnson family in the early part of World War II. Their mother was Emma Grigsby who I understand was murdered." Crista

Tracy

Tracy Report 14 Aug 2003 09:56

Chris, This will be difficult as both were born after 1901, so you can either pay to access 1837online and search; or I can have a look at the FRC for you, as I am visiting there next Thursday. Let me know and if you want me to look I'll see what I can do! Tracy

Christine

Christine Report 14 Aug 2003 12:59

Thanks to you all. Crista yes that was me who posted that message. I will take your advice and see how far I get but don't be surprised if I get back to you again.