Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

"Gedcom file"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 11 Aug 2003 17:34

I have just recieved a gedcom file via email but it dosn't seem to link anyone up the last few pages just said "Frel Natural" what does that mean? what is the best way someone can send through email information on to me?It did have numbers after each name i.e. 1 husband @10181@ 1 wife@10184@ but even that didn't make sense any suggestions?Sue...................

Annie

Annie Report 11 Aug 2003 17:40

Hiya Probably the last ones are still living so it wouldn't be wise to post their details because you would need their permission to do so. There are various ways of numbering family ties and relationships. The numbers you refer to are part of your supplier's reference system. If you type genealogy numbering into a search engine you'll see things like SOSA and other ways of linking families. Hope this helps Best wishes A

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Aug 2003 17:41

Sue You need to have genealogy sofware installed on your computer to be able to upload a gedcom. If you have, just import the file. Be careful though I wouldn't merge it with your own though, open a new file. Margaret