Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHERE can I find adoption records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 10 Aug 2003 00:55

please help at a dead end

Mike

Mike Report 10 Aug 2003 03:19

One of the regulars, whose name escapes me, invariably picks up queries on adoption. She may be on holiday so, to avoid this getting lost, I suggest you post it every day for a while. There have been a number of adoption-related posts in the past couple of months so it may be worth having a trawl back. As I expect you know, the Adopted Children's Register at the FRC starts in 1927 and lists the adopted, NOT the birth, forenames and surname. Best of luck.

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 10 Aug 2003 04:55

Hi there If you are close enough to London, try the FRO - or the web site they have advisors that mighthelp - point you in right direction Liz

Helen

Helen Report 10 Aug 2003 23:09

Michael Colman Many thanks for your help is there a site for FRC? regards Helen

Helen

Helen Report 10 Aug 2003 23:21

Hi Liz many thanks for the help sorry I live in Scotland is there a site E-mail address for FRO would be obliged I am almost 60 and would love to find my brother many thanks Helen.

Helen

Helen Report 10 Aug 2003 23:32

Hi Liz Many thanks for you reply do you have an e-mail address for FRO as I live in Scotland regards Helen

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Aug 2003 00:34

Hope this is what you have been looking for. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Edinburgh Family History Centre Colinton Rd Edinburgh EH10 5DQ Tel: 0131 313 2762 Have you tried the records office in Edinburgh? Regards Margaret

Elizabeth A

Elizabeth A Report 11 Aug 2003 02:40

Hi there FRO web address is www(.)familyrecords(.)gov.)uk without the brackets. Hope they can help Liz

Mike

Mike Report 11 Aug 2003 03:26

Helen, The 'FRC' is the Family Records Centre, in London. There is a website - click on 'Links' at the bottom of the left-hand column on this page. Have you thought of putting an ad. on Channel 4? - see teletext pages 460 to 465. It's free, and you can repeat as often as you want. It would be well worth trying the BAAF - British Agencies for Adoption and Fostering - I think they publish a list of where old adoption records can be found. I don't know if they have a website - run a Google search, or try telephone directory enquiries. The (lady) to whom I originally referred will be able to help you more than I - I think she works in social services. Again, good luck.