Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I verify a relative?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PinkDiana

PinkDiana Report 8 Aug 2003 15:25

Me is a new member too.... and it's certainly addictive..... I think I have just found my deceased mother-in-laws grand-parents who married in 1825 - i just don't know how to verify this!! Any advice?

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Aug 2003 15:55

So far as I know there are only two ways: Online: you might be lucky and find them in familysearch Otherwise: from the parish records probably in the Diocesan or County Records Office covering where they got married.

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 8 Aug 2003 22:27

You need to 'prove' every link in the chain. So you need your mother-in-laws birth cert/baptism with her parents names, then their marriage cert will give you their ages and fathers' names, then you can look for the next birth cert/parish entry etc etc - contrary to popular belief it can't be done in one evening on the internet!!!:) I have been going for about 25 years on and off and seem to still be only scratching the surface!Patience, cash and dedication are required! Oh, and plenty of luck and following up hunches!!! Marion