Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Same problem as Janet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tricia

Tricia Report 7 Aug 2003 21:12

Hi I have the same problem as Janet,only the address I need to know the occupant of,is 8 Park Street Cheltenham,in 1854. I need to know if George Carter was in lodgings or living at home.Any help gratefully received Tricia

George

George Report 7 Aug 2003 21:18

I'd suggest accessing the electoral registers for Cheltenham as they give all those of voting age in the household. George

Tricia

Tricia Report 8 Aug 2003 18:17

Thanks George I will try to do that.I assume that I can do so by post as I live in Middlesex. cheers Tricia

Tricia

Tricia Report 8 Aug 2003 22:03

Hi Dave Thanks for the offer of help, though I'm not sure if you can.I don't know if George was born in Cheltenham. Just know from the marriage cert that he was living at the above address at that time. I have found his wife,her family was living in Painswick.After the birth of their first,and as far as I can tell, only child,who was born in Painswick. George disappears, until his death in 1905 in Edmonton.His wife also died there, due I suppose to the fact that the son was living there. The son turned up in Hertfordshire and married a girl from there and ended up in Edmonton. My problem is trying to find siblings for either George or his son. I find it hard to believe that they were both only children.I have looked online in the census for Gloucester but found nothing Sorry this is so long winded. regards Tricia

George

George Report 8 Aug 2003 22:20

Have you found George in the 1881, 1891 & 1901 censuses? whats his wifes name? George

Tricia

Tricia Report 8 Aug 2003 23:00

Hi George I have not been able to find George or his wife Eliza anywhere other than their marriage cert in 1854 and the birth of their son, John Joseph in 1855. The marriage in Cheltenham and the birth in Painswick. The only other mention is the dates of their deaths recorded in John Joseph's family bible. I have tried everything I can think of. Not knowing where George was born makes it very difficult to find him in a census.I have tried searching for him or his wife Eliza in the 1881 and him in the 1901. No joy. If it wasn't for the certs,the bible and me exsisting, I would think it was all in my mind. ha ha. cheers Tricia

George

George Report 8 Aug 2003 23:30

You say you know when & where he died then send for his death cert it will give you a little more info to work with. George

Tricia

Tricia Report 8 Aug 2003 23:41

I have a death cert for another relative, it just gives when and where he died, sex and age, occupation, cause of death and who gave the information. So I assume the details will be the same on George's. I have joined the Gloucestershire Family History Society so I will email them and see if they can help. I suppose they could have access to a electoral role, got to be worth a try. I am begining to think that they were abducted by aliens in 1855 and returned to earth 50 years later.(X-files music in background) Thanks Tricia