Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage of cousins.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Aug 2003 15:56

Does anyone know if it was legal for cousins to marry in 1806. Diana.

Maxine

Maxine Report 7 Aug 2003 16:00

Hi There I am pretty sure it was, although I am not intimate with the legalities of marriage!(I just signed on the dotted line!) Regards Maxine

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Aug 2003 17:26

I think it was legal too although even then not recommended. Ann Glos

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 8 Aug 2003 18:42

I've got cousins marrying each other as late as 1877 in Cornwall. A lot of that seemed to go on in the 19th Century. Not sure if its illegal nowadays though.

Beryl

Beryl Report 8 Aug 2003 20:41

Diana As far as I know it became acceptable for cousins to marry in the Protestant church from 1540 which enabled Henry the Eighth to marry Catherine Howard who was a cousin of Ann Boleyn. It became almost fashionable in the 19th century. Queen Victoria married her first cousin Albert. It was very common amongst 'the gentry' as it kept any money in the family! I believe it is still perfectly acceptable today. It wasn't legal though for a man to marry his wife's sister or a woman her husband's brother until the beginning of the 20th century. I think I've got those facts right but if not we'll soon find out I'm sure! Beryl, Darlington DUR

Unknown

Unknown Report 8 Aug 2003 23:22

Many thanks for your help everybody. Appreciate it. Di.