Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Web pages?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mystified

Mystified Report 6 Aug 2003 14:02

Does anyone on the list know where there are sites which you can have a web page? Preferably free! I want to put my family tree on one. I know GC is similar but I need to post it on some other sites. I have tried 1 or 2 but they are either too simple or there is no advice given. Thanks in anticipation, John

Georgina

Georgina Report 6 Aug 2003 14:19

Do you know how to put a gedcom file onto a webpage in dreamweaver? I suggest looking on google for sties that offer free webpages.

Mystified

Mystified Report 6 Aug 2003 16:05

Hi, thanks for the response. I have looked in Google and it gives a few but not what I want. I have even tried roots web but there help is useless. You have to post a message and hope someone answers it. Are you asking re Dreamweaver for yourself?

Tracy

Tracy Report 6 Aug 2003 20:25

Freeserve are quite good. I've got two family websites online using them and you get quite a bit of webspace too.

BrianW

BrianW Report 6 Aug 2003 20:47

Tracey, how do you go about accessing your allocated webspace on Freeserve (or Virgin, as I've 2 e-mail addresses)

Tracy

Tracy Report 6 Aug 2003 21:02

Brian, If you go to the Freeserve Homepage, there is a link called 'Build a Website' under the communications section or go to http://www(.)freeserve(.)com/sitebuilder/ftp(.)htm. Register and the webspace is ready to use. Good luck! Tracy

Martin

Martin Report 7 Aug 2003 09:55

Not free but myfamily<.>com have a good system where you load your GEDCOM and it displays the family tree - done much better than Genes Connected. You can also load pictures and other files. The whole thing is password protected so you can control access to it. LEGACY will export a report to HTML format and there are other programs that convert a GEDCOM to a HTML tree. Martin

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Aug 2003 10:10

Thanks, Tracey

Siralli

Siralli Report 7 Aug 2003 19:57

Hi there! Try www.myfamily.com. You get a set amount free, you have your own email account, can post pics etc, have your own filing system - but more importantly - it is "your own family site" - with yourself as administrator, you can invite all your family to become members and it shows you when they are online etc as well as what day and time they last visited YOUR family site! It also has a calender for you to post birthdays, weddings etc and snaps along with a message of your choice. You can also up/download snaps to site at will using their software. You do get a few pop up ads but just click on em to send em away as pests! Hope this helps some of you out there! I know how much I struggled in the early days of family research, this site helped me get my family together. When we get any new snaps we post them. If you reach your limit, the choice is yours - pay a couple of bob, its only cheap, for the large expansion for one year. Have a look! Can't hurt ya can it!?! Good hunting all! Regards Alan Kershaw

Mystified

Mystified Report 7 Aug 2003 20:27

Thanks for all suggestions I am going to look at them tomorrow. PS is it me or what. Why are some people asking for people to do lookups for them on 1837 online?

Tracy

Tracy Report 7 Aug 2003 21:19

Hi, Just thought I'd mention, I am a freelance web designer, so if anyone has got any queries regarding this (riveting) topic, I will be happy to help solve the problem, just e-mail! Tracy

Maxine

Maxine Report 7 Aug 2003 21:40

Oooooh Tracy , I've made a mental note of your knid offer, you may regret it when I eventually get around to doing my own web page! Many Thanks John - I know what you mean , same person did a similar thing with 1901 the other night - my response was similar to yours! I am sure it is unintentional & due to inexperience( that's not intended to sound patronising!)

Mystified

Mystified Report 8 Aug 2003 09:42

Maxine, Glad you said I was just beginning to think it was me. As you know from the list I am always prepared to help esp. newcomers as I was once there my self and we are all still learning, no matter how many years. It was just I was noticing 2 or 3 names cropping up who, I think, were wanting others to do all their research for them and then also wanting us to pay for their info as well. Even when you try there is never a thank you. I suppose I am best ignoring them. 1 name in particular I noticed last week was getting less and less response as I think people were realising what was going on. You find 1 piece of info for them and then they are asking you to find the next piece. Any way whinge over with lol Always prepared to help, John