Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Brick Wall: Marriage search!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Siralli

Siralli Report 4 Aug 2003 18:43

Hi everyone, This looks like being my last resort so here goes... My mothers parents were James MONAGHAN and Edith MONAGHAN nee GALLOP. My problem is trying to trace the correct record of: Birth of either or both plus any record of a marriage. All I have is a paper record of death, and burial details of both - full stop! Try as I might, I just cannot make any progress. James died in 1936 aged 51 and Edith died aged 58 in 1944, both died in Manchester and are buried in Gorton Cemetary. I have extracted from 1891 and 1901 census returns but without any marriage record I have trouble confirming any birth to ensure that I get the right one to follow up on! Any helpful advice would be more than welcomed. Kind regards Alan K.

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Aug 2003 18:52

Sorry, tried freebmd. can't find anything there. Hazel

Vera

Vera Report 4 Aug 2003 22:27

Alan Have you contacted Blackley Cemetery & Crematorium, as they have the records for Gorton Cemetery? Tel no: 0161 740 5359. They may be able to tell you if there are any more people in the same grave which may help your search. Contact me directly if you need to see the gravestone as I live near to the cemetery and could have a look, if you know the site/no. of the grave. Regards Vera Gorton, Manchester LAN

Siralli

Siralli Report 6 Aug 2003 18:54

Many thanks Gang - Hazel, Elton and Vera! I have not been on for a couple of days so I have missed your kind response to my plea! Elton - yes my mother is the elder of two sisters, born Eva in 1919 and her sister Elsie born in 1923, both at 13 Darley street Gorton in Manchester. I have tried allsorts, looked at local news inserts regarding deaths of both hoping this will tell me something extra to go on - no joy there either! Vera, thanks for your kind offer but I have the Plot and who's buried in it etc, not much joy there either i'm afraid! The undertakers "Taylors" is still going and they are on Hyde Rd just up from the Plough Pub. It is their interrment paperwork that I have for both - including all costs for the Family Plot etc. Edith paid for the Plot via council. Taylors wouldn't likely have any extra details would they? If so what could they be?? I shall have to keep digging (forgive the pun)If anyone has any bright ideas just how I might finaly crack this and confirm even "just one" of their births or anyone has lookup for Irish based marriages, so that I can make some progress - I will be eternally grateful. Kind regards all and good hunting! Alan K.

Mystified

Mystified Report 6 Aug 2003 19:29

Just a little idea, prob. useless but if you know where they may have been married, contact local registrars and ask for a search. Most are usually obliging. Sorry can't help more. John