Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1st Time Researcher

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Douglas

Douglas Report 3 Aug 2003 20:18

I've never done this sort of thing before and I don't know a great deal about my own family beyond my mum and dad. How do you go about finding out further up the tree?

George

George Report 3 Aug 2003 20:29

Here are my tips Ask your parents and grandparents what they remember? Gather any certificates and photos which your family possess, let your relatives know what you are doing, then consult the online 1901 & 1881 censuses. George

Mystified

Mystified Report 4 Aug 2003 08:13

Hi Douglas, I write to try and give you hope. I only knew my grandmothers. I never knew grandads. I knew one was called Leonard. Out of the four lines I am following, I have got back to early 1800's. My ggrandfather is proving elusive, only 1872. I think that is pretty good. So there is hope. A tip though, use the internet but don't take anything as true until you have actually checked the records yourself. It does mean buying certificates and looking at parish records. Get the skeleton from the web but always check. People on here and other sites will be very helpful esp. if it appears you are doing lots for yourself. You already have had lots of tips so go for it. Should you need any help post a message to me or the whole group. Best wishes , John PS Be warned.......... it is very addictive.

Brenda

Brenda Report 4 Aug 2003 08:54

hello Douglas I only started about six weeks ago myself and have found out much more about my family that time than in all my 50 odd years previously.If you have any older aunts, uncles cousins etc ask them what they remember ,its amazing what you can peice together when you look at it all.Good luck and enjoy!!!Brenda

June

June Report 4 Aug 2003 09:22

Hi Douglas On the left hand side of the screen you are now on, right at the very bottom is LINKS, click on this, it will show some very good sites to look at. Some are free, Latter DAY Saints and Free BMD in particular,the 1881 census is on the Latter Day Saints whilst BMD is good for searching for births, marriages and deaths. The 1901 census is on the Pro.Gov site. this will show names, but if you want to know who was with who in a particular house, it will cost money. Before you go spending, ask on this site for a few tips. These sites are very good but they do need verifying before spending money on certificates. Good luck June,Nr.Preston.Lan