Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tillie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

George

George Report 31 Jul 2003 22:03

Hi Can anyone tell me what the name Tillie is short for? Is it a name in its own right? George

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jul 2003 22:08

A girl at our school was called Tillie - real name was Matilda. Hazel

Katie

Katie Report 31 Jul 2003 22:08

Often Natalie. I have known several Natalies who use 'Tilly' or 'tillie' - but it could once have been a name in itself. You will have to search using many different versions...spelling vary so much! Good luck, -Kat

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Jul 2003 22:13

Hi George, I found the following meaning under the spellings Tilly and Tillie on babynamenetwork(.)com The mighty battle maiden. I actually know two people with the name!! Maybe short for Tilda ot Matilda as they have the same meanings. Regards Margaret

Leah

Leah Report 1 Aug 2003 13:51

Hi George My mother was known as Tilly all her life. Her birth name was Matilda which she disliked. She was named after my great grandmother, a fact I have only found out in the last couple of months since researching our family tree. Best wishes Leah

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 1 Aug 2003 14:06

My mother was called Tilly all her life, and her name was Alice!

Sandra

Sandra Report 1 Aug 2003 14:22

I hate to complicate matters but sometimes its just a nickname for some unknown reason in my youth I was known as big tilly and my fiends daughter was little tilly and our names are both sandra, on that side of family they still call me big till perhaps I should slim!! Sandra

Alison

Alison Report 1 Aug 2003 16:44

I know a girl called Tilly whose 'real name' is Tallulah! Alison