Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sharing Trees with Others

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 31 Jul 2003 13:45

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've had a few contacts recently and, although it's likely that there is some link in our trees, we've as yet been unable to prove anything. Fair enough, time will tell. When I logged on today I noticed that one of these contacts had given me access to their tree and low and behold has added "fake" links and dates to tie up our trees including my own date of birth (35 years out!). I think this site is a really good idea but will become a farce if people don't check their facts properly. Should I just let this go or politely ask the person not to jump to conclusions just yet?

Christopher

Christopher Report 31 Jul 2003 13:59

I would say, just be careful, this family tree business is new to a lot of people, so you have to watch what info you give out until you are sure about who you are in touch with.

Catherine from Manchester

Catherine from Manchester Report 31 Jul 2003 14:00

I think this person is jumping to conclusions, by adding stuff to make it look like there could be a connection you need to find out more details before you decide there is a definate link. I know of someone who has been tracing the wrong tree for years. catherine

Angela

Angela Report 31 Jul 2003 14:16

Thanks for the advice. I think perhaps the soft but firm approach might work. I'm happy to help everyone (that's why I've joined this site!) but don't want to end up with a made up tree. I've spent many a long hour playing detective, I guess I just forget that others are still new to all this and it's tempting to get carried away at the beginning.

Andrea

Andrea Report 31 Jul 2003 14:27

Angela, I would mention it to this person but at the end of the day, if they decide to leave their tree as it is, it doesn't affect your tree in any way as you are the only person that can add, change or delete information - this is one part of GC I am very grateful for!!