Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is a house in Glasgow still standing?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jul 2003 19:09

I am probably asking the impossible, but I am trying to find out if 373 Gallowgate is still standing and what it looks like. My Gt Grandmother was there in service in 1899. It is between Dennistoun & Bridgeton on the A89, if someone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks Kim, Sandhurst

Maxine

Maxine Report 29 Jul 2003 20:19

Hi Kim I have had a look on 192(.)com, Royalmail(.)com & streetmap & it was not listed on any so I think it is safe to assume that it no longer exists, unless someone with some local knowledge can check it out. Regards Maxine

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jul 2003 21:18

Maxine, Thanks for looking for me, it was really kind of you, as you say, maybe there is someone who either lives near or has some street knowledge. Kim

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Jul 2003 21:53

Hi Kim, I was in Glasgow today and only about 5 miles away from Gallowgate. I would have gladly gone to have a took and take a picture for you. I also looked at the Royal Mail Post Code finder on-line and could see 374 listed but not 373.They have a very good map library in Glasgow.Maybe they might have something of interest there for you. Regards Margaret

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jul 2003 22:41

Margaret Thanks for your kind offer. Trouble is I am in Sandhurst, Berks, so will have to find other means of finding out info. But thanks for your help anyway. Kim

Zoe

Zoe Report 30 Jul 2003 13:09

Kim, Lucky day. due to oversleeping hugely this morning I drove to the office. So on my way home I will take a quick detour up the gallowgate and see what I can find for you. No camera on me today but if it's still there I'll sort out a piccy for you too. Zoe

Zoe

Zoe Report 31 Jul 2003 10:20

Kim, 373 Gallowgate isn't there anymore. The road goes up to 349 then there's a large piece of waste ground and the next number I could see was 397, although that was the start of a block of deserted buildings. If I get a chance I wouldn't mind looking into it a bit more for you. Let me know if you have any more info about the family there or anything and as soon as I get a free day (not likely to be until september I'm afraid) I'll go up to the Mitchell library and the glasgow room for you and see what I can find out. All the best Zoe