Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 de-coder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 29 Jul 2003 16:34

I have identified (hopefully) my G/Grandfather and his two children on the 1901 site. Using the decoder, I grouped them using the person id and I have my G/Granfathers last three numbers 036 with the two children 038 and 039. Am I correct in assuming that the missing 037 would more than likely be his wife and if so, is there any way at all I can obtain any info about her on this site with just her id no. Terry (computor dinosaur)

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Jul 2003 16:41

It is likely to be his wife, but should have been picked up by the decoder if your results included her and she was at the same address. However, I have found at least one unexplained gap in the number series in one of my results, so ????. If she was at another address at the time of the census she would not fit into the series anyway.

Terence

Terence Report 29 Jul 2003 16:48

That's my problem Brian, I haven't a clue who she is. I got my G/Grandfather's name from my Grandparents marriage certificate but can't seem to progress any further

Alison

Alison Report 29 Jul 2003 16:58

If you know her first name input it in and the location that is on the other family members put in female and estimate of year of birth (+ or - years) it will then come back with all the possible females in that area with that name and you can check the no to see which is the right one. If you dont get a hit that way it may be possible that the missing person is another child, step child or in-law and under another surname you'd have to resort to paying to see the image

Maxine

Maxine Report 29 Jul 2003 17:20

Hi Terence Another option would be to have a look on freeBMD for your GGrandfathers marriage (if the 1901 gives you enough of a head start)and see if you can get the certificate. You also may be able to find the marriage from the latter day saints IGI index, I have had some limited success there with later marriages. Regards Maxine

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 29 Jul 2003 17:40

Would someone kindly explain what the 1901 decoder is? As I am having problems with the 1901 site, perhaps I missed something.

Terence

Terence Report 29 Jul 2003 18:13

Allison Thanks for that, don't know her first name either, so will give the female thingy a try. Maxine Have tried IGI and FreeBmd - no joy Terry

Maxine

Maxine Report 29 Jul 2003 20:01

Hi Terence Do you know any other family details?(probably not or you wouldn't be asking the question!) The only other place would be 1837 online, but I would imagine that you have tried that too. Have you tried other census records ? Regards Maxine

Maxine

Maxine Report 29 Jul 2003 20:03

Hi Dorothy I think someone has put the details of the decoder on your other message. If you get stuck with it feel free to send me message and I'll try to help. I think its a wonderful thing, I wish we had one for the 1881 census! Regards Maxine

Terence

Terence Report 29 Jul 2003 20:19

Hi Maxine Sorry but I know absolutely nothing about my G/Grandmother, not even her name. Many thanks to everyone for their help

SueS

SueS Report 31 Jul 2003 14:33

Terry if you haven't found your G/Grandmother yet, try the Advanced Search and just put surname, female and enter the Civil Parish field using the exact format that shows for the other family members and then look for the ID number you need.I have had many successes this using this method. If I haven't explained this well, give me your G/Grandfathers details and I will have a go for you. Sue

Terence

Terence Report 1 Aug 2003 13:51

Hi Susan Just followed your advice and first of all couldn't get a match. I then remembered that when I checked my G/Grandfathers records they misspelt the Parish - South Sheilds not Shields. I just reentered the info using Sheilds and up she came, my G/Granny - Ann age 28 born Durham. Susan, what a star you are !!! Thanks a lot Terry