Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mutiple births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 28 Jul 2003 09:23

I have 2 birth certs which show time as well as date of birth, so this should indicate a multiple birth. I have searched without success for any other children born on the same date and also a day either side. If the othe babaies were still-born,would they still be registered or would they show up in parish records as burials? I read somewhere that stillborn babaies were sometimes popped into the coffin of another individual to save on burial fees etc. What do you guys think?

Graham

Graham Report 28 Jul 2003 10:18

I think still born births was discussed a little while ago - the consensus was that they would appear in both the birth and death index - some may be named others appear as Male or Female with the surname (at the end of the surname list in the index rather then in sequence with M or F) Graham

JillGr

JillGr Report 28 Jul 2003 10:52

I also have 2 certs with times of birth. I contacted the records office asking for the certs for the twin. In both cases there was no twin. Apparently, some registrars put the time of birth as a matter of course. Think it depended how they felt on the day!

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jul 2003 11:19

Scottish birth certificates show the time of birth. Regards Margaret

George

George Report 28 Jul 2003 14:41

HI Some churches have a separate register for still born babies. George

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 29 Jul 2003 09:36

Thanks everyone for your help.. It just confirms my belief that our ancestors lead us a merry dance.!!