Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gedcom

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 28 Jul 2003 08:18

Can anyone explain to me about Gedcom files? I use Family Tree Maker package but I cant find anything on it about gedcom. I checked it out on GC but it makes reference to a file name,I am not a pc wizz and am getting a bit confused, Someone is sending me a 'tree' from Australia and I need Gecom to open it, Can anyone help me out here?

Robert

Robert Report 28 Jul 2003 08:38

Claire, You should have "file, import" on your software. This should read in your Gedcom file. There may be a few errors, but generally its pretty good.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 28 Jul 2003 09:17

Thanks Robert, I have checked my software and it only says 'copy' 'export'.I am being really thick here?

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Jul 2003 09:53

Claire, No your not being thick. I too am working with family tree maker and can only export my gedcom file, it does not have the facility to import, Also it will not allow you to store photo's in the album, although it says you can, and their technical support is not even worth dicussing! That's why I'm getting shot of it soon! Kim Sandhurst

Graham

Graham Report 28 Jul 2003 10:12

If you go to the file menu in FTM - then Open and scroll down the Files of Type box you'll see GEDCOM (*.GED) Click on the Gedcom file and it will open in FTM - if you have a common name and you want to append it to your own file then use the File Append/Merge option - make sure you do a back-up first and then follow the on screen instructions. Incidentally if you go to the FTM Help file there are a number of topics dealing with importing and appending etc. Use Help>Contents>Help Topics>Index - type in Gedcom. Graham

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 29 Jul 2003 09:39

Thanks everyone, Kim,,which package are you going to replace FTM with? Have you heard of any good ones?

Graham

Graham Report 29 Jul 2003 09:59

About FTM - I can get photos appearing on my tree in the pdf files with no problem - and can import and export gedcom files - all you need to do is to search the help files and it will answer a lot of questions and problems. Graham

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jul 2003 10:40

I am working with an earlier version of FTM, so it looks like they have ironed out the probs that I have, I just wish their TS would answer me! Trouble is I love the printout, so planning to use GreatFamily, and use both along side each other, as on GF you can do a lot more and also use as website. Kim

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 30 Jul 2003 07:46

Graham I did what you suggested but there is no'files of type' in the list, I did see (9th time of looking)'export files' but it isnt highlighted which is why i missed it before. Cant you pop round to my house and sort the dratted thing out for me.... Im thinking of changing the software now,,

Graham

Graham Report 30 Jul 2003 08:04

Thanks for the offer - what version of FTM ru using? Version 10 is the latest one. Graham

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 30 Jul 2003 09:59

Graham Its version 7.0 I guess this is why its not doing what I want it to, Maybe i will update it,,,Does the 10.0 have more on it?

George

George Report 30 Jul 2003 10:17

I use version 6 and it does everything i want it to. It will save and import gedcoms and will save photo's. At the moment i can't remember if they are jpeg, bmp or whatever as i have used lots of different programmes to save photos in my pictures. Another thing i did with mine was to download paf 5 from the mormon site and then send a gedcom from family tree maker to it. It works perfectly and you can see four generations of your family on a tree on the screen, so you can see the gaps you may have

Graham

Graham Report 30 Jul 2003 10:47

Can't say what the differences between versions 7 and 10 are - trouble is, as I have version 10, any instructions clearly only apply to that version. Graham