Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

causes of death

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 27 Jul 2003 00:11

hiya, i found out that one person in my family tree was a twin and died very young. her name was lilian cave and she died in 1898 23 monthes old lived in Markfield, is there anyway of finding out the cause of death? thanks

Laurie

Laurie Report 27 Jul 2003 00:26

Hi Martin, You will need to get hold of a death certificate. That's if they had them then. It should give you the cause of death, address etc. You need the registrar in the area where she died. Correct me anyone of I'm wrong. Laurie

Martin

Martin Report 27 Jul 2003 00:29

Hiya thanks for your help. My fault I didn't tell you that I had found the death certificate, all it says is her name when and where she died. do you think that is furthest i can go? thanks again

Laurie

Laurie Report 27 Jul 2003 00:40

Hi, I don't know to be honest. If it was a suspicious death then they would have had a p/m, but not sure what the procedure was in those years. You could get in touch with your coroners office and they might be able to tell you if p/m were carried out in those days and if so they should be able to put you on the right track. Sorry I can't be of more help, Laurie

Martin

Martin Report 27 Jul 2003 00:43

Thankyou very much

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jul 2003 12:03

My great grandfather died in 1891 - he fell from a ladder whilst suffering an epileptic fit. There was a post mortem for that, according to death cert.

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jul 2003 12:24

There are some fascinating snippets of information in the old records. I can't lay my hands on it at present but I found the story of a Weatherall who was at the Fair in Newcastle where a Mr Lunardi had a hot air balloon. He had a number of locals holding the guy ropes, but as the balloon filled and the lift increased some of the people let go. All except W who had the rope wrapped round his arm. Up went the baloon with W still attached until he finally fell to his death making a hole over a foot deep in the next garden. Jim

Unknown

Unknown Report 27 Jul 2003 12:30

Here is another snippet I found in Stockton on Tees Public Library. 25 May 1843 Died, suddenly, at his residence, Hengate, Darlington, aged 38 C. Wetheral, solicitor. He weighed 33 stones when 30 years of age, and his coffin, which was 7 feet 6 inches long, 2 feet 5 inches deep, and 3 feet 2 inches across the breast, weighed, with the body, 58 stones. Before this immense burthen could be removed for interment it was necesary to take out a large bow window in the deceased's house. Jim

George

George Report 27 Jul 2003 12:35

There are a couple of books I got out of my local library which are made up of snippets from old newspapers. One is called '1784' by Duncan Sprott. You never know you might find an ancestor in there. George

Martin

Martin Report 27 Jul 2003 19:48

thanks for all your help I will try looking in some papers

Pamela

Pamela Report 27 Jul 2003 21:54

I am not sure how seriously infant deaths were taken in 1898, it was possibly a fatal childhood illnes like croup or diptheria, but you could try local papers of the time, there were sometimes reports about epedemics and stuff, and the family may even have put in a death announcement,or there may beother things to give you a clue. Pam