Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 Census/Lancashire look-up please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail

Gail Report 24 Jul 2003 17:37

My G.G.Grandfather James Blears was born in 1861 in Weaste, Salford. His father was George Blears (unfortunately George was deceased on James marriage certificate in 1884, and unable to find him on 1881 Census) I am stuck on George as I have no other details, eg. his wifes name. Can anyone out there help please. Thanks Gail.

Lynne

Lynne Report 24 Jul 2003 21:04

As you know when James was born why not apply for his birth cert which will give his mother's maiden name. You will then be able to check FreeBMD for a marriage between George and hiw wife which should help you. Lynne

Gail

Gail Report 24 Jul 2003 22:04

Hi Lynn, I only know the year he was born, unable to find the date, even on 1837 online, so no GRO Ref available. I have tried everything I can. I have hit the Brick wall!! All I know is that James married Ellen Patten on 12/4/1884 and George was deceased at that time. Oh forgot to mention George's occupation was Painter.

Vera

Vera Report 25 Jul 2003 08:24

Gail Found a birth of JAMES BLEARS in the March q 1864 (none in 1861!)registered in Barton (Barton on Irwell) ref. 8c 512 and a Marriage of GEORGE BLEARS in the March q of 1851 also in Barton, ref. 20 98. The female names are Charlotte Cottom, Sarah Hindley or Alice Yates so it could be any of them. The census will show her first name. Registers now in Salford and Trafford districts and I think it may be Salford - the address is: 'Kingslea' Barton Road Swinton Manchester M27 1WH Tel: 0161 909 6501 Are these your James and George? Have you checked on the Lancs BMD on (www.lancashirebmd.org.uk)there are some Blear names on that. Vera Manchester LAN

Gail

Gail Report 25 Jul 2003 23:40

Thanks Vera, I also found George Blears and Alice Yates marriage and James Blears birth in 1864, but on the marraige cert for 1884 it shows James as age 23. Confused!! Regards Gail!!

Martin

Martin Report 26 Jul 2003 08:00

Did he need to be 21 to marry without parent's permission in 1884? Might explain putting down the age as 23. Ages do seem to vary as people try to appear older or younger at different times. Many local Register Offices will search on just the year without an exact date, especially if you can give a few other details to identify the event. If they don't find then they will return the cheque - I have known some to EMail me to check which person is the right one. Martin

Gail

Gail Report 26 Jul 2003 19:10

Thanks Martin I suppose that is a possibility, I know James was on the 1881 Census aged 20, no sign of George then either so he obviousley died before then. I found an Alice Blears Widow. (possibly nee Yates) and her children on 1881 as well. I guess I will just have to keep digging eh?