Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Ettie' short for which name?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 24 Jul 2003 11:46

i have a marriage certificate where one of the witnesses is Ettie Donovan, and i believe this woman holds the clue to finding my gtgtgrandmother who appears on none of the census, but there are no entries in any website (will be corrected though!!) for an Ettie Donovan, so any ideas what it is commonly short for. Thanks.

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 24 Jul 2003 11:50

Clare Could be short for Hettie which in turn could be short for Henrietta(not sure of spelling) Hope this helps Shelli

Terence

Terence Report 24 Jul 2003 11:58

Hi Clare It might also be short for Harriet. Terry

George

George Report 24 Jul 2003 12:04

I'd say its short for Henrietta. Or may be Annette. George

Ginny

Ginny Report 24 Jul 2003 15:59

Could be Esther

Annie in

Annie in Report 24 Jul 2003 17:25

Henrietta is the most likely,although if she was irish it could be Bernadette. There are other possibilities in more obscure names like Georgette,Antoinette,e.t.c.

June

June Report 24 Jul 2003 21:43

My Aunt Ethel was always called Et or Ettie. June,Nr.Preston.Lan

Catherine

Catherine Report 25 Jul 2003 01:49

My friend is called Esther and we call her 'Ettie' for short.I think Ethel is also a strong possibility Catherine

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Jul 2003 09:48

Thanks everyone, still cant find her though, if i didnt have the certificate id begin to wonder if she ever existed!!