Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records - What will they tell me?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 23 Jul 2003 22:24

Im now at a loss to finding my greatgrandfathers details, I have his marriage certificate, but this doesnt show his birthplace or his mothers name - will parish records? Donna

Donna

Donna Report 23 Jul 2003 22:33

unfortunately I dont know the parish of birth, im just wondering if the church where they got married would hold more info?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 23 Jul 2003 23:04

are any parish records available on line? as most of mine will be in Liverpool and I live in Hampshire.I would like to order birth cert for g grandfather but I only have year of birth and his fathers name (from his marriage cert)I would like to find his mums name to be sure I order correct cert and presume I need parish records for that.Kathleen

Donna

Donna Report 23 Jul 2003 23:05

Thanx William, not sure though if the church would have more info than what is on the certificate - do you know anyone who has experience with this? Donna in Essex

Donna

Donna Report 23 Jul 2003 23:07

Seems like you and I are in the same boat Kathleen. Can anyone give us any tips please.

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 24 Jul 2003 16:56

yes please any tips at all would be so welcome Kathleen

Jane

Jane Report 24 Jul 2003 17:09

Donna Could you say which year(s) you are looking for - I will be able to give you some information on parish records but you may be able to find parents on freebmd. Jane

Annie in

Annie in Report 24 Jul 2003 17:14

Hi,Kathleen, I'm having trouble with my Liverpool ancestors too[I live in Essex]. Have been doing research on them for nearly a year and have only got back to 1800's. Think the problem is that most of mine came from Ireland. It's ironic because i've got back to the 1600's with another line which i've only been doing for a fortnight! This is because the parish records for norfolk are online and the family stayed in the same place!

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 24 Jul 2003 18:10

Dianne you could try the liverpool irish site Im always trawling through it have had a few good bits of info from it rootsweb.com/~hibernia.good luck Kathleen

Donna

Donna Report 24 Jul 2003 20:26

I have looked on FreeBMD - hes not there, I also looked on 1837 and paid and the pages are illegible not typed, I have requested an 1861 lookup in the hope that he may be on there he was born in 1856 in Hertfordshire thats all I have. Can you help?? Regards Donna