Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How much by snail mail?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Jul 2003 15:30

I now, thanks to my friends at GC, have the relevant details to apply for a birth certificate. I cannot apply on line so will send a letter requesting the cert. What I need to know is a) How much they will want me to pay b) What is their full address? Thanks Jim Gosport, HAM UK

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Jul 2003 15:47

Hi The following is taken from the GRO site, Hope it helps. If ordering by post, phone or fax, make cheques and postal orders payable to 'ONS'. Payment from abroad should be by international money order, cheque or draft (payable in London) in favour of 'ONS' and should always be expressed in sterling. If you are applying by post, please do not send cash. Payment can also be made by Visa, Access, Mastercard or Switch. If applying at the Family Records Centre (FRC) you may also pay by cash. Please note - if you do not make your cheque payable to 'ONS' we will be unable to process your order and your cheque will be returned to you therefore delaying your application. Online / Postal / Phone / Fax Fees for events in England and Wales Standard Service Full certificate of birth, marriage, death or adoption £11.50 Full certificate of birth, marriage, death or adoption (with GRO index supplied) Online £7.00 By post, phone or fax £8.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of birth £11.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of birth (with GRO reference supplied) £8.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of adoption £9.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of adoption (with GRO reference supplied) £7.00 Extra copies of the same certificate can be issued at the same time for a fee of: Full certificate of birth, marriage, death or adoption £7.00 Short (abbreviated) certificate of birth £7.00 Short (abbreviated) certificate of adoption £6.50 Priority Service (Certificates will be despatched the next working day following your application provided the order has been taken before 4pm) Full certificate of birth, marriage, death or adoption £27.50 Full certificate of birth, marriage, death or adoption (with GRO index supplied) £24.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of birth £27.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of birth (with GRO index supplied) £24.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of adoption £25.50 Short (abbreviated) certificate of adoption (with GRO reference supplied) £23.00 Still birth certificates Still birth certificates (full certificate only) £7.00 Postal Fees Correspondence should be addressed to General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, Merseyside, PR8 2JD Click the appropriate link to download an application form in pdf format Birth | Marriage | Death If you require a certificate you can: Order by telephone on +44 (0)870 243 77 88 (Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9am - 4pm) Fax +44(0)1704 550013 If you require a certificate urgently you can: Order by telephone on +44(0)151 471 4572 (Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm, Saturday 9am - 4pm) Fax +44(0)1704 568315

Shelli4

Shelli4 Report 23 Jul 2003 15:48

Jim Hope this is right General register Office Smedley hse trafalgar Road Southport PR82HH Tel ; 0870243778, open M-F 8-8 & Sat 9-4 E-mail address certificate(.)services@ons(.)gov(.)uk Full cert costs £7.50 with GRO ref and £11.50 without

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Jul 2003 16:01

Thank you both, I have taken Lisa's advice and my application is ready to post. Jim

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 23 Jul 2003 18:17

James - you may have already posted your application to the GRO but if you know the Reg Dist. try them - I had two certs to send for recently. One to Uckfield Reg.Off. and one to Greenwich. They cost me £7.00 each. Uckfield was back by return of post, Greenwich - 10days. Sue