Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not on the census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 23 Jul 2003 13:38

It appears that Mary Emma Bennett is not on the 1881 census. Any ideas why she wouldnt have been?

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Jul 2003 14:46

Hi Emma Have you tried a variation in the spelling of the surname. I thought my Dickins branch of my family were not on the 1891 census until I tried Dickens and there they were. However, another branch, the Macks, do seem to be missing and I tried all sorts of variations. Jeannie

Lisa

Lisa Report 23 Jul 2003 14:48

Perhaps they were not living in this country at the time of the census? COuld this be a possibility?

Debbie

Debbie Report 23 Jul 2003 14:50

Do you know where your mary Bennett came from and roughly how old she was in the 1881 census. I have just had a look and there are over 200 of them, perhaps you need someone elses eyes. because in the past I couldnt find people and someone came right back and there they were. Debbie

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Jul 2003 14:53

Hi Lisa I'm certainly beginning to think that about my Mack family branch. All my research puts them in the East End of London (including the 1881 census), yet several older members of my family say my great grandfather spoke with a Scottish accent. Are there any Scottish census online? Jeannie

Alison

Alison Report 23 Jul 2003 15:15

I have just posted a message "how on earth" if they can get a surname so wrong try everything. If you know where they were born and the date try a search with just forename and these details it worked for me

Emma

Emma Report 23 Jul 2003 16:01

She is definetly Mary Emma Bennett, as i have found her birth, registered in barnsley in the third quarter of 1873. She also had a daughter who was born in barnsley too. Her marriage is also registered in Barnsley. I am wanting to find out about her parent etc, as she is the furthest back that i have found so far.

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Jul 2003 16:21

Hi again Emma I have found an 18 year old Mary Bennett on the 1891 census living at 12 Providence St. (I think, writing is bad),Barnsley. Family shown as Hannah Bennett (Head of family and widow. It looks like the age is 27 or 37. Mother is Mary Harrison - age 75, widow Then the children:- Mary 18 Sarah 14 Edith 11 William 6 Hannah 4 Albert 3 Hannah and Mary are shown as Machinists. Any good? Jeannie

zoe

zoe Report 23 Jul 2003 20:35

If you have her birth details why not just order a birth certificate, you can do this online and only costs £7.00 if you have the volume number and pg and district. This will list fathers name and occupation and also Mothers name and maiden names

We're all crazy now

We're all crazy now Report 23 Jul 2003 21:11

Hi Deborah Thanks for the info on the Scottish connection. Jeannie

Annie

Annie Report 23 Jul 2003 23:02

Just a thought The Barnsley registration district at the time covered the following areas: Ardsley, Barnsley, Barugh, Billingley, Carlton, Cudworth, Darfield, Darton, Dodworth, Monk Bretton, Nether Hoyland, Notton, Roystone, Stainbrough, Wombwell, Woolley, Worsbrough. Another thought I spend months looking for my great grandmother May PEARCE and found her eventually under MARY ! Good luck Ann I don't whether this might be of any help to you Ann

Emma

Emma Report 24 Jul 2003 00:32

Zoe, I tried that one and i'm waiting for the registrar office to get back to me, but an initial search of the majority of the Barnsley districts didnt turn her up, so they were having to dig further. Emma

Emma

Emma Report 24 Jul 2003 00:34

thanks Debbie, I will take a look tomorrow. Its a little late tonight.

Emma

Emma Report 24 Jul 2003 00:35

Jeannie, That could be her, but I will have to wait and see if they can find her birth certificate, as i know very very little about her. Thanks for the info. Emma.