Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Darwen Advertiser Newspaper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 23 Jul 2003 12:25

Can anyone please help me find archives from this newspaper? My Gran's brother was quite famous in our little town as he was a weight lifter and eventually, the local gym had no more weights for him to lift as he had lifted them all! The guy's name was Benjamin (Ben) Fenton and he was known as "the Gentle Giant". He was born c1925 so if we say he was about 18 or so when he started.. he made the papers several times apparently. Can anyone help?

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 23 Jul 2003 12:33

Andrea, Try your local library. They may well have the newspapers on film. I have researched newspaper reports in our local area and found information for other members. Elisabeth

Janet

Janet Report 23 Jul 2003 13:38

I seem to remember, when I worked for local paper years ago, that we had to send a copy of every issue to the British Library as they said they had to have a copy of everything printed in this country. Don't know how long back that goes but worth investigating. Best of luck, Janet

Andrea

Andrea Report 24 Jul 2003 10:51

Thanks for your help.