Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WELSH NAMES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 23 Jul 2003 09:31

Does anyone know where to go wih name PRICEGOOR of Clyro Radnorshire. The name does not appear in any records from 1881 Census on Are there Welsh census records anywhere? I think the Registrar at marriage (1879) wrote down what he heard as she signed with a cross but spoke English

Vera

Vera Report 23 Jul 2003 09:42

Dorothy In Welsh a W is pronounced OO so I suspect the name was PRICEGWR ( similar to CWM, pronounced COOM, a valley) although Price was a name in itself. I am not Welsh so if any Celts are out there, please put me right. Vera, Manchester LAN

Crista

Crista Report 23 Jul 2003 09:50

Dorothy, Can you list the names of the bride and groom? Crista

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 23 Jul 2003 10:10

To Crista: groom Albert Colwell bride Mary Ann Pricegoor Westbury on Severn district 15.07.1880 father William Pricegoor labourer Thanks for anything you can do.

Crista

Crista Report 23 Jul 2003 10:22

Dorothy, Could it be Pricegore? FreeBMD has a Pricegore from the same district getting married that same year. Maybe it was Mary's sister. Crista

Vera

Vera Report 23 Jul 2003 10:52

Dorothy This may be a long shot, but worth looking into. I searched for Albert Colwell & Mary Ann on the 1881 Census and they were living at (Aston Bridge)(Westbury on Severn) East Dean, Gloucester RG11 2522 24 9. Then I look at the Neighbours and found at (Aston Bridge)(Westbury on Severn) East Dean, Gloucester RG11 2522 24 9. )NOTE THE SAME FOLIO NO. meaning very close neighbours)the family of William PRICE, H,M,49 b. Clirow, Radnor Mary PRICE, w.m.49 b. Clirow, Radnor David PRICE, son,u,23 b. Clirow, Radnor William, son 16 b. Brimnamer (? Brynmawr), Brecknock Edward, son 15 b. Aburestwith (?Aberstruth) Monmouth Thomas son 12 b. Aburestwith (?Aberstruth) Monmouth Coincidence, or what? Notice that Clirow should be Clyro, Radnor. Do you think her name was PRICE and the name was mistaken on the marriage certificate? A look at the 1871 census for the where the youngest son was born may show the family with Mary Ann age 11. Vera, Manchester LAN

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 23 Jul 2003 10:55

Crista Gran always claimed she was related to the Gore family coach company at Abertillery and I know her second child was born at Blaena in 1886 (went home to Mum I suspect) I downloaded all Gores hopefully from 1881 census (in Radnorshire) but can see no connection because of the change of name but faltered at Gores of South Wales. (there are a lot) Thanks for your help. I don't know how missed the one in Free BND.

Crista

Crista Report 23 Jul 2003 11:12

Dorothy's Here's your family on the 1901 census: Albert COLWELL 44 East Dean Glos East Dean Gloucestershire Coal Miner Hewer Mary COLWELL 39 ... S W Mon East Dean Gloucestershire William COLWELL 18 East Dean Glos East Dean Gloucestershire Coal Miner Hewer Mary COLWELL 15 ... S W Mon East Dean Gloucestershire Dress Maker Osmond COLWELL 13 Cinderford Glos East Dean Gloucestershire Fuse Farbory Fire Jones COLWELL 11 East Dean Glos East Dean Gloucestershire Winifred COLWELL 9 East Dean Glos East Dean Gloucestershire Crista

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 23 Jul 2003 12:41

To all who helped with this one. I've had so much help this morning. Thank you very much. I missed that entry because I found Albert's Dad living next door and thought there couldn't be any more at an Engine House (pumping up the water from the pit shafts) and I didnt look any further. They all lived next door to each other. I've got lots to go at now. Anyone know how you get to the 1871 census?