Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Districts on BMD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 22 Jul 2003 10:14

Please help. I have a lot of family from the gloucestershire area (Forest of Dean), however, the districts of freebmd dont seem to have the forest of dean on them or the areas close by such as lydbrook. What districts would this area come under instead? Any help would be great.

Andrea

Andrea Report 22 Jul 2003 10:41

Whenever I am not sure what district something would come under, I just select "all districts" and then the County and see what it comes up with. Sorry, I can't help more - my geography is non existent! Whenever I am looking for someone and I find a possibility, I have to ask hubby if the district shown could be right for the area I thought they came from!! Useless!

Graham

Graham Report 22 Jul 2003 10:45

There are some very good web sites which give the parishes and the appropriate Registration Districts. Have a look at: http://www.fhsc(.)org.uk/genuki/reg/

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 22 Jul 2003 11:06

Most of my family were born in the Forest of Dean. I have found that East Dean works for most of them, but you need to be aware that the south west corner of the Forest area called West Dean, taking in Parkend, Bream area were registered as Monmouthshire for a long time. I always try both Glos. and Mon because at some point it all seems to have reverted to Glos.( believe the Forest of Dean has shrunk considerably over the centuries.)

Graham

Graham Report 22 Jul 2003 11:14

Forest of Dean seem to be spilt between Chepstow, Monmouth, Ross and Westbury on Severn districts. Lydbrook appears nowhere, but a check of the nearest parish to Lydbrook shows both West Dean (Monmouth) and Ruardean (Ross) less than 1 mile away.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 22 Jul 2003 11:23

Thought a bit more. Most of the Forest of Dean appears under Westbury on Severn. If you try that and Mon. but want to know what a particular village or town came under, just go to Free BMD type in Jones in the town or village you are interested in, then from the results click on the village bringing up the long district details. It might be worth printing off any towns or villages listed in Gloucestershire. A large scale road atlas helps. Does wonders for your geography!

Lisa

Lisa Report 22 Jul 2003 11:55

Dorothy, habe you ever heard of, or do you know of a place called Worral Hill? Much of my family lived in this area but there is no record of it existing at this time. It is listed in Ancestral Villages website but doesnt seem to exist now. WOuld you know if what lies where Worral Hill once stood or any Info about the area. My mum hadnt heard of it and she lived in the forest of dean for about 15 years.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 22 Jul 2003 12:12

I don't know that hill. Are you sure it's not Harrow Hill as that is so close in a Forest accent. Harrow Hill is the area centred on the Forest Church, properly called Holy Trinity, Drybrook. although it's not at Drybrook village. (the church is centred in the triangle of Drybrook Nailbridge and Mitcheldean) a scattered area of houses common land and old forest. I've never seen it on a website. If you use the 1901 census with a person entered it gives the actual area they lived at on the print out. Gloucester Library are very helpful if you are at a distance. I'll think some more.

Lisa

Lisa Report 22 Jul 2003 12:17

I have some more info. If you go to ancestralvillages.co(uk) Worral Hill is listed there. It is part of the Holy Jesus Eccleseastical Parish and is part of the West Dean Civil Parish. Thats about as much as I know.

Dorothy

Dorothy Report 22 Jul 2003 12:51

Hello Lisa. A bit more info. It's not Harrow Hill. You need a map for this. Take the road from Cinderford to Monmouth going through Brierley. It's on the road much nearer to Cinderford than Coleford, and I would think any ancestors from there would come up under Westbury on Severn District, or East Dean. Foresters didn't seem to move about much except when girls married, due to so many of the men being miners, unless they went off to find work.