Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Children born out of wedlock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 21 Jul 2003 15:44

I have just realised that my ggg grandparents married in 1873, one year after the birth of my gg grandfather. This was the same as my father whose parents married 3 years after he was born (uncovered this secret only recently aswell!). In the case of the former, what would have been the protocol on the birth certificate in the C19th? I have found what I think is the birth record on 1837online but since the parents were not married would the child have taken the fathers name or could they have decided this? I think this is possible now but no sure about then... Although it's a very unusual name, I don't want to order the wrong certificate so any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Gary Report 21 Jul 2003 16:42

Angela If your (is it) gr gr grandparents were living together I expect everyone thought and they told everyone that they were married. When registering a childs birth as far as I know you did not have to provide your marriage certificate (I expect someone can confirm this)so you could give it the fathers surname. I know that this worked in the last century because I know someone who did not know her parents were not married until just before her mother died and we are still trying to work out how she got a widows pension! Regards Gary

Beryl

Beryl Report 21 Jul 2003 20:23

Angela As far as I know if a couple hadn't married and there was no certificate then the father had to be present at the registration for the child to be given his name. I'm sure someone will put me right if that's not so! Beryl, Darlington DUR

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jul 2003 20:38

Try John and Barbara Dixons web site at www(.)dixons(.)clara(.)co(.)uk and go to the genealogy link. There is lots of useful info on BMD certs and about registering births of children born to unmarried children.

JillyWilly

JillyWilly Report 21 Jul 2003 20:51

Hi Angela I had the same problem my gr grandparents married in 1891 so I looked for their daughters birth and couldn't find it until I went back in time not forward as I thought,and I found it her parents got married a year after her birth and she did have her fathers name on the birth cert. Jill from Cardiff

George

George Report 21 Jul 2003 23:06

Hi Well I've just discovered that an ancestor had a daughter five years before she married. The woman was a spinster according to her marriage certificate which indicates that the child was illegitimate though I would have thought her mother 35 at the time of the birth would have known better. George

Angela

Angela Report 22 Jul 2003 13:30

Thanks to everyone. I had thought that children born outside of marriage would have been a real exception 100+ years ago but now I see it happened more than I thought. I think I'll go ahead and order the birth and marriage certificates and see where that leads me next!