Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A word of caution

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 20 Jul 2003 11:08

I'm probably being paranoid, but I was intending to sign up for the free trial with ancestry.co.uk until I noticed that their sign-up page is NOT secure ie the security padlock sign is not present after you enter credit card details. I would urge anyone contemplating signing up in this way to consider carefully what the implications of this apparent lack of security is. As I said, I'm probably being over cautious, but the choice is entirely up to you. No need to reply saying you've not had a problem - I'm sure there is no problem with ancestry, the potential problem is with the lack of security on the web. Graham

Chris

Chris Report 20 Jul 2003 12:04

I was going to sign up yesterday and noticed that so i decided against it

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 23 Jul 2003 22:55

I was going to sign up for the 14 day free trial on Ancestry till I saw Grahams message. Just what are the implications of signing up to an insecure site. There are lots of us all now wanting look ups for 1891 and it's lovely of so many people to offer to help us, but I for one now have quite a list of potential look ups. Also apart from the census records what else is on Ancestry, will the pros outweigh cons? Sue.

Gary

Gary Report 24 Jul 2003 07:40

Sue I have been on Ancestry for months and had no problem with security. Although that may mean I am lucky and others may not be. Ancestry besides the 1891 census also has births, deaths and marriage information prior to 1900. Whilst it does not give partners I have found information on there that was not on FreeBMD. There is other info. on there but I have not used it yet. I thought the subscription was worth it for 1891 census alone. I would not have been as successful as I have been without it. But it is really up to the individual as to whether they consider what they have to pay equals what they hope to find. Regards Gary

Crista

Crista Report 24 Jul 2003 08:34

Graham, I think it is secure in that there's a a java applet performing the encryption rather than the browser's built in SSL encryption, so the lock icon doesn't apply. However, it is confusing and they should point this out. Might be worth emailing them. Crista

Tracy

Tracy Report 24 Jul 2003 08:35

Hi, I'd have to agree with Gary, I purchased the 3 monthly subscription to see if the benefits would out weigh the cons and they definitely do! I would have been stuck for ages without just the 1891 Census information and was considering spending at couple of days at the FRC going through the microfiche! I'd have to say it's well worth every penny, I'm signing up for the year now. That said, if anyone has any information they would like me to look up on Ancestry, I am more than willing to have a go and let you know the results. Tracy