Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Linking family trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 17 Jul 2003 07:46

Can anyone tell me how to link someone's tree into mine, as I have found two other branches to my family through this site, and I need to link them up. What I found was another brother for a relative back in 1830's and now have more family. I need to put the brother in and copy the tree into mine. Is this possible? Hope someone can help, sally

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 17 Jul 2003 09:56

hi sally, I think if you have made contact with the other people, you can click on to your contacts on your home page.It tells you who your contacts are,and if you have allowed each other to view one anothers trees,it also says click here to add link. Hope that makes sense, Good Luck

Andrea

Andrea Report 17 Jul 2003 11:52

Kathleen is right with what she says about the linking of the trees. However, it doesn't help very much. All you can do is use the person you have in common as the "link". This will then put a link symbol on this person and you click on this and it will take you to that person in the other person's tree - it does NOT join the two trees to give you both one big tree. We are all giving GC grief about this and I believe they are working on it. If, in "Your Contacts" you do not have the option to use someone as a link, then contact the person again through GC and it will give you the option. I believe once you have given the person access to your tree, it no longer gives the option to use someone as a link. I have just had to re-contact someone to create a "link". Hope this helps and makes sense!

Donna

Donna Report 17 Jul 2003 19:18

I brought this up the other night on the web chat, and dint get an answer as I have also got a connection, in the end I have typed all of his data into my tree. My issue is how can we really figure out if we are part of one big family if we dont link the trees up? Maybe its a job for a computer whizz to write some new nifty software perhaps?

Vera

Vera Report 17 Jul 2003 20:26

Donna Hard work to add another set of names to your tree on GC. I thought the idea was to LINK with other members trees so that we are Linked - then add the names to YOUR OWN GENEALOGY FAMILY TREE - and not on the GC site. I may be wrong in this assumption, but I can see that eventually we are going to duplicated people on the site. For example I have shared my tree with a cousin and he has added the names I have given him onto the GC site. If another person searches for that particular surname they will see two of the same person with the same/similar details. I should not normally be able to see our family, but I can because they have been added by a relative. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am mistaken. Vera Manchester LAN

Donna

Donna Report 17 Jul 2003 20:41

This was before I had uploaded my tree to the site via Gedcom, I find it easier to add to my gedcom, delete the tree on here and then upload again?