Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Avoiding the census?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie in

Annie in Report 16 Jul 2003 21:50

Trying to find any census records for James Tafe b.1855 in Ireland[cork?]He was in England by 1884 when he married Sarah Selina Hanlon in Liverpool.Their son James was born later that year.Other children were David and Thomas+Sarah's sons from her first marriage;peter[1877]and Hugh[1880]Hanlon.I have Sarah on the 1881,but no sign of James.I don't have a name index for 1891,but they are not at any of the addresses I have for them in west derby/liverpool.On the 1901 census none of them exist at all! I have tried all the name varients on the 1881 and 1901 to no avail.Starting to wonder if they had something to hide. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tracy

Tracy Report 16 Jul 2003 22:04

Diane, I have had a quick look at the 1891 Census for you and none of the names you mentioned appear. Is it possible that they all moved back to Ireland? Tracy

Julie

Julie Report 16 Jul 2003 22:11

Hi Diane I think I have found your family, details as follows James Taafe 35 b. France (british subject) Sarah S. Taafe 38 b. Liverpool Hugh Hanlon 11 stepson Mary Hanlon 9 stepdaughter James Taafe son 6 Thomas Taafe son 4 Daniel Taafe son 2 John Taafe son ?4 or 14 mths Living at Ballard Terrace, Bootle, Liverpool Looking at the original image it was definately transcribed Taafe and not Tafe. Maybe this is why you haven't been able to find them elsewhere? Hope this is of help and happy searching! Sorry, forgot to confirm this is off the 1891 census

Annie in

Annie in Report 16 Jul 2003 22:16

Julie,sorry i was so excited i added the thank you message too early!My hands are shaking and you are a star thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!