Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Uffentine/Uffculme - Devon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jul 2003 10:41

Is anyone familiar with counties in Devon? The 1881 census states an ancestor was born in Uffentine but the 1901 suggests Uffculme.Also, someone else was either born in Churchinford or Church Ford. Which one is correct?! Your help as ever is very much appreciated!

Crista

Crista Report 8 Jul 2003 10:54

Helen, Uffculme is in the Tiverton district. Churchinford is on the Devon/Somerset boarder and is spelt Churchingford on Multimap. If you give me the names I can look them up in the 1891 census. Crista

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jul 2003 11:15

Great Crista - thanks alot! The first is Eli Humphrey (Furniture Manufacturer) born Church Ford and the second is his son Frederick Humphry (Furniture Manufacturer) born Uffentine. Frederick had the 'e' in his surname in 1881 census but dropped it in 1901 so not sure how he chose to spell it in 1891!! Many thanks again. Helen

Crista

Crista Report 8 Jul 2003 11:29

Hi Helen, Unfortunately I couldn't find them in the FreeCEN 1891 census as they were no longer living in Devon. Crista

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jul 2003 11:52

Helen I found your family on the 1891 census. They were at 91 Oakfield Rd, Kings Norton, Worcestershire. Ref. RG12/2351 Folio 88 page 27 ELI HUMPHREY age 57 a wood turner born Churchinford, Devon CHARLOTTE, wife age 56 born Uffculme, Devon FREDERICK, son age 27 a manufacturers clerk born Uffculme, Devon HARRY S, son age 22 born Bournemouth, Dorset a manufacturers manager HARRIET J, daughter age 21 born Bournemouth WALTER C, son age 20 born Bournemouth a manufacturers manager Also living there was Charlotte Albut age 15 a servant born in Birmingham Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jul 2003 12:16

Many thanks to Crista and Margaret for all your help but still a bit confused as I have Harry, Harriet and Walter as being born in Beauminster in Dorset. This isn't the old name for it is it?!!

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jul 2003 12:44

Helen My mistake, it is Beauminster, Dorset. It's very poor writing but after another look I agree with you. Apologies for confusiing you Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 8 Jul 2003 14:01

Hi Margaret No need to apologise! To be honest it doesn't take a lot to confuse me!! Thanks for everything especially verifying Beauminster - it was most kind of you. Take care Helen