Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What name does JNO stand for?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 6 Jul 2003 14:14

Please can anyone throow some light on this for me, I keep coming across it, Many thanks, Ruth

Alison

Alison Report 6 Jul 2003 15:36

Could it be a typing error for John?

Ruth

Ruth Report 6 Jul 2003 15:44

It occurs an awful lot to be a typo. I did wonder i it was transcribers misreading THO for Thomas...

Vera

Vera Report 6 Jul 2003 15:49

Ruth I always took it to mean JONATHAN Vera Manchester, LAN

Graham

Graham Report 6 Jul 2003 16:36

Jno IS an abbreviation for John - similarly Thos for Thomas, Chas for Charles etc. Qhite a common 'affectation' in Victorian times. Graham

Ruth

Ruth Report 6 Jul 2003 16:41

Thanks for this Graham. Though I do wonder what was going through their minds when they decided to rearrange the letters of a four letter name to make a three letter abbreviation!!!!!!

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jul 2003 18:21

Hi all, I notice that there does seem to be some confusion amongst members regarding the way names have been written. At various times in the Parish Registers the ?Curate? liked to show off his learning by Latinising names. Hence you will find Guilielmus for William, Johannes for John (and Johanna for Joan) Maria for Mary and a variety of male names ending in --us and female names ending in --a. Another oddity I have come across is Christopher. Having the base of "Christ" this was often written as "X" hence Xfer, Xtopher and I have even seen Xphopher. We must always remember that writing styles, and indeed the English language, have changed considerably over the Centuries. If you do come across something you are having trouble reading, try to make a copy of it. There are experts who can translate for you. Also for example Census returns. If you are trying to read a census I suggest you start at the beginning, read what you can make out to the end. Then start again and do the same thing over and over. Eventually you will become accustomed to the quirkish writing style of the enumerator and be able to realise that what you had taken as Croft was really Cross, Ibis is really Webb, and that Albertus was known to the world as Uncle Bert. Jim

Beryl

Beryl Report 6 Jul 2003 20:13

I'm with Vera on this one...I've always understood it was the shortened form of Jonathan. Beryl, Darlington DUR

Beryl

Beryl Report 6 Jul 2003 20:26

Having just posted my previous message I stand corrected!! I have a copy of a booklet entitled 'Reading Old Handwriting' from the excellent McLaughlin Guides and it says in there..quote... 'Common Christian names are regularly shortened, in Latin or English forms Joh, Jo:, Ioh, Jno = JOHN Jon, Jona = JONATHAN Hen; Hy. = Henry Tho, Thos, Ths = Thomas Jas, Jac(obus) = James Will, Willm, Wm, Guiliel, Gul = William The rest of the examples are pretty straightforward so I wont list them. It is full of useful info and only cost me £l.50 although probably costs a bit more now..well worth investing in. Beryl Darlington DUR

Ruth

Ruth Report 6 Jul 2003 20:51

Thanks Beryl, this is really useful

Vera

Vera Report 6 Jul 2003 22:56

We all live and learn! Isn't it great?

Martin

Martin Report 6 Jul 2003 23:34

By the way .... there is a tutorial on reading old handwriting at http://www.scan.org.uk/researchrtools/handwriting/onehourtut.htm/ It actually covers Scottish handwriting but still valid for other parts of the UK. MB

Unknown

Unknown Report 7 Jul 2003 15:31

If you are having trouble reading old writing I suggest you try to get a copy of "Sixteenth and seventeenth century wills, inventories and other probate documents" compiled by Ann Rycraft. Published by the University of York in 1973. It has a picture of the original on one page, and on the next the transliteration into modern type. Jim

Martin

Martin Report 7 Jul 2003 18:31

There is also a book "Discovering Old Handwriting" from Shire Publications. http: // www . shirebooks . co . uk / Genealogy / genealogy2-bl . htm # oldhan Sorry had to insert spaces because of the annoying habit of Genes Connected of deliberately corrupting URL's MB

David

David Report 8 Jul 2003 00:39

Thanks, all. Have had this in my family where there are lots of Jonas's and I'd always assumed it was for that.....