Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SHOULD I BE REGISTERED UNDER MAIDEN OR MARRIED NAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caralyn

Caralyn Report 6 Jul 2003 12:45

Could anybody please help me? I am trying to use this site, and finding it difficult!! Should I use my married or maiden name when beginning my tree? Any other useful info would be appreciated. Thanks Caralyn Williamson (nee Waugh)

Stephen

Stephen Report 6 Jul 2003 12:52

When you enter your tree put yourself on under your maiden name and add your husband on next to you. That will show your marriage and change of name. Stephen

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 6 Jul 2003 12:57

You should also enter any female members by their maiden names. I have been very frustrated contacting people, to find that the name entered is their married name! Maggy

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 6 Jul 2003 13:00

Hello Caralyn, if you are finding it a bit confusing, click on Help/FOQs to the left of the screen, and maybe print it out as you go along. If you need any help, post your questions on here, someone will always help. Maggy

MizzyH

MizzyH Report 7 Jul 2003 16:06

Be thankful you've only got ONE maiden name! I actually have three. The surname from my adoptive family; the name on my birth certificate (my mother's husband, but not my father); and my natural father's name. For genealogical purposes of course, it has to be the latter. However, because I don't want to alarm a half-sister who doesn't know of my existence, I go under my married name on this site and when I know a little more about dates etc from that side of the family via freeBMD/1837online etc, I'LL have to do the contacting, rather than people contacting ME.