Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 census Portsmouth area

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 5 Jul 2003 16:21

Is anyone able to have a look at the 1871 census for Portsmouth please? I'm trying to find Christopher Galant(age about 30)Jane(wife 23 )Emily(child). Also does anyone have any ideas how to find navy records other than at the national archives?I can't visit and to find service number involves photo copies of over 100 documents(the quote for the first 3 was over £60,a bit pricey for me I'm afraid)Thanks very much.

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Jul 2003 17:20

hello Lynne, I will be going to the library in Portsmouth next week, so can look up your details. I have used a gentleman who is local to me for Navy Records, he charges £20 to find and send copies of their Navy records to you. All he needs is their full names and approx age, if you are interested let me know and i will e-mail his address to you. Have you looked up on the 1881 census for this family, if not i can do this for you. I also hold a copy of the buriel index for Hampshire.

Lynne

Lynne Report 5 Jul 2003 17:42

Thanks Eileen, That would be a big help.I wish I was in a position to travel more. Yes please let me have this mans name and I will get in touch with him. I have got all the family details off the 1881 census,they were actually in Scotland then,and I also have found their death records up there as well.I am now trying to piece together the early years.Lynne