Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding John Burns

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jason

Jason Report 5 Jul 2003 02:55

Hello, I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to find the birth certificate of John Burns (his father is also a John Burns) who was born in 'Sleaths', Yorkshire in 1844 (worked out from the census return and from his marriage certificate). Unfortunately, I've not been able to find his birth certificate in the records office etc. He married Mary Anne Masterman, (nee Horner) on May 3,1875 at Stockton Parish Church. Any help or info would be much, much appreciated. Rgds. Jason Ward.

Graham

Graham Report 5 Jul 2003 06:33

Jason, don't despair. It's highly likely the birth wasn't registered in 1844. The takeup on registrations wasn't 100% by any means at all. I take it you have check the Family Research Link site? If they don't have it you can be sure it doesn't exist which means you'll have to search the parish registers for the christening. Graham

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jul 2003 07:44

Hi Jason, I know this does not help with john's birth but this could be him on the 1891 census:- John burns- 48- head -labourer b.- Staithes, Mary wife- 43-b. Ripon, Yorks, John Masterman- stepson- 21- labourer -b. York, Joseph Masterman- stepson-19- labourer- B.Stockton, Robert Masterman- stepson-16-Labourer- b. Stockton James Burns- son- 13-b. Stockton Marshall Burns- son- 6- b. Stockton Mary Burns- dau- 1- b. Stockton The address looks like 14 Ware Street. Hope it helps with your searches! Tracey x

Ann L from Darlo

Ann L from Darlo Report 5 Jul 2003 10:09

Tracy can I ask is this from the Freecen site? Ann,Darlington

Tracey

Tracey Report 5 Jul 2003 10:22

Ann, I got this info from 1891 census at Ancestry. Tracey x