Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GYPSY ANCESTERS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Matthew

Matthew Report 4 Jul 2003 11:29

I have a gypsy ansester, I need to get a marriage certificate for her. I have her death certificate but thats it. I have no birth certificate and therefore I do not know her madien name or where she was married. Can anyone help me with some ideas of what to do. Regards Mat

Lynne

Lynne Report 4 Jul 2003 13:18

Matthew Dependent on when she was born (her age should be on the death certificate) you may be able to find her on a census. I know it's a long shot but if you know the area and / or address, just put her christian name in and you may just strike lucky. Good luck. Lynne Sale CHS

Alison

Alison Report 4 Jul 2003 13:20

the Archives in Liverpool have books on gypsy ancestry and the are some websites out there. I posted some on the guest book a few weeks ago. The readers digest Family history book has a lot of information on finding Gypsy ancestors.Try your local library as some genealogy web guides have sites listed that can help

Matthew

Matthew Report 10 Jul 2003 13:58

I know the death certificate gives her age but I don't know if it gives her madien name or not (it's been a while since I looked at it). Mt memory tells me that she died in 1961 (her husband died in 1949). We have no idea where she came from and thats the problem. I want to know where she came from as it's been a mystery for over 50 year in our family.