Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Liverpool pubs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ginny

Ginny Report 1 Jul 2003 23:00

My ancestors (1881) ran a pub at 36 Lime Street - does anyone know what it was called?

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Jul 2003 23:37

The Vines (BIG HOUSE) possibly

Ginny

Ginny Report 1 Jul 2003 23:39

Thank you - my great grandfatheer apparently kept it in 1881 - any otherr info greatly received

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 1 Jul 2003 23:44

That ws just a suggestion ,there are or were others and its years since Ive been to Lime St GOOD LUCK will keep wracking my brain

Bethan

Bethan Report 2 Jul 2003 11:35

http://www.pubsindex.freeserve.co.uk/ The guys who run this website may be able to help confirm the name of the pub. They are putting together a database of all pubs in England pre 1900 i think. The database is not online, but there is a request form that you can fill out for information. Bethan

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 3 Jul 2003 08:19

its Liverpool 1 Margaret in the City centre

Ginny

Ginny Report 3 Jul 2003 10:27

Thankyou William. According to the 1881 census my great grandfather kept the pub at 36 lime street but does not give the name of the pub. His name was James Alexander Thomas

Ginny

Ginny Report 4 Jul 2003 23:39

William,Maggie May wasn't trying to trace thomases annd Joneses in Wales ! that's enough to drive anyone to drink! Ginny

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 5 Jul 2003 09:07

Yes Margaret, it was called Maggie May,erm local good time girl. In the eighties I got off train in Lime St,and went in to Labour with youngest daur,my waters broke all over platform.Wanted to die ambulance was sent for,crowds of onlookers,the ambulance drivers and nurses when I got to hospital were helpless laughing&suggested I call my baby Maggie May(dead funny them scousers)

Colette

Colette Report 10 Aug 2004 16:02

Hi all i have the Edwardian A-Z SO ABOUT 1907-8 ish number 36 was an Oyster Saloon in those days run by a J Lawson then came the Quadrent as William says, was the Quadrent the name of a Pub or small area between Lime St & Elliot St. I have a picture of the block you can see The Washington The Imperial and the Hotel St George and on the end you can just make out the Caladonian Vaults i have been intouch with a lady from Devon whos Grt Grandfather ran this pub about the turn of the Century i think you mentiuoned him John Adams. Regards Colette ps if you want a copy of pic email me

Colette

Colette Report 10 Aug 2004 21:27

The Legs Of Man pub was way up the other end of Lime St and on the opposite side number 36 would have been on the corner as you turn into Elliot St leading to Clayton Square. As we know the area today the old St Georges Hotel and the old night club Studio 54 on top of the ugly St Johns market fill the spot today. Colette xxxx