Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Geneology Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 30 Jun 2003 15:14

What SW do people recommend? I think I need one that uses GEDCOM files ... but after that I don't what I should be looking for or not! ANy advice kindly received! Jeni

Graham

Graham Report 30 Jun 2003 15:45

You'll find that most all of the software programs have a gedcom import/export faility as it's a common format. If you want a free program - then Legacy is very good indeed (use Google to search for it). Otherwise I'd recommend Family Tree Maker at a cost of £30 - but beware that there are several versions available which add-on lots of US census CD's and other US stuff etc which, if you're only researching the UK, can mean spending money unnecessarily. Graham.

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 30 Jun 2003 23:17

I found the Familysearch free one a good basic one. I tried the Legacy one but found it a bit over-complicated.

Sandyken

Sandyken Report 1 Jul 2003 11:02

If you want a software package that is specifically authored for the UK try Family Historian -its £44.95 tho'.