Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage cert - father is " - "??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 30 Jun 2003 12:19

I have just received a marriage certificate in the post that I was hoping would help me find out about the parents and estimates for the peoples ages etc. However, the father of the groom has only a dash for his name and profession. Can anyone tell me why this is? Does it means he had already died, or that they can't read the writing on the register or what? Please help!

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Jun 2003 12:37

Andrea A dash where the father's name should be usually means that the person was illegitimate. In which case try just searching the mothers line Margaret

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Jun 2003 12:38

Is it a transcript or a copy of the original register entry? However, either way it could be that the child was born outside wedlock and the name of the father not disclosed by the mother.

Jane

Jane Report 30 Jun 2003 12:55

Hi Andrea I had the same problem with my ggrandfathers marriage certificate and thought that was the end of it, however, if you can get a copy of his birth certificate you may find that his father is named. Mine was, even though they were not married. It's worth a try. Jane - Leeds

Chris

Chris Report 30 Jun 2003 13:51

Hi I had the same problem "no father on certificate" irang register office they told me its because he was illegitimate so i got his birth certificate and that was the same"no fathers name" so now im stuck were to go

Andrea

Andrea Report 30 Jun 2003 18:59

Thanks for your help. I will get in touch with the Registrars and see if they can clear it up for me.

MaggyfromWestYorkshire

MaggyfromWestYorkshire Report 30 Jun 2003 23:04

I had the same with my grandad, no fathers name on his birth or marriage certificate. Looks like his mother was a single parent. My only clue is that his middle name was Stevenson! Maybe that was his fathers name, but it looks like a dead end to me!!

Alison

Alison Report 1 Jul 2003 08:45

I had the same problem from a copy obtained from southport, my mum then found an original cert stuck in an envelope among some papers that had all the details on. If you know which church they were married in try the parish records.