Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chelsea Pensioners?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Daniel

Daniel Report 25 Jun 2003 18:56

I have discovered an ancestor who was a chelsea pensioner. Does anyone know how I could go about finding more information about him? Were records kept, are there any websites dedicated to these men etc? Thanks.

Gary

Gary Report 25 Jun 2003 19:28

You could try: www(.)veteransagency(.)mod(.)uk This seems to have lost of army related information. I understand that records are kept at the Public Record Office. Anther useful places might be the National Army Museum. Regards Gary

Daniel

Daniel Report 26 Jun 2003 11:37

I had looked online already for some info and the little I found basically said that the hospital was rather unhelpful with this kind of thing.

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 26 Jun 2003 11:47

The PRO apparently has a huge amount of info on Chelsea Pensioners - if you can get there its well worth a look, soldiers discharge papers can give you a lot of info, especially if he served for several years.

Alfred

Alfred Report 7 Jul 2003 11:11

Hi I also have a relation who was a Chelsea pensioner, I visited the Royal Hospital and found the staff very helpful in finding our relation, I received Regt,army number, date of entry and age when entered into hospital, date of death and where buried. Well worth the visit.

Nicola

Nicola Report 14 Dec 2004 20:10

Records for Chelsea pensioners are held at Kew in london. Have a look on ..... http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=60539&CATLN=3&Highlight=&FullDetails=True This gives you loads of info.

Helen

Helen Report 14 Dec 2004 20:23

One of my great uncles was a chelsea pensioner and one year they all went on holiday to Bognor. Whilst there Uncle Jack met a lady who was also on holiday and they fell in love. Uncle Jack left the Chelsea pensioners at the age of 75 to get married and move to Newcastle Sorry, doesn't really help with the question, but I just think its a nice tale cheers H

Pat

Pat Report 14 Dec 2004 20:35

Oh thats's a lovely tale Helen I too have a rellie who is on 1881 census as a Chelsea Out Pensioner, but I haven't been able to check anything about his Army stuff yet as I don't live in London. I will hopefully one day try and get some info from kew about him. Good Luck Pat x

sarahjw03

sarahjw03 Report 14 Dec 2004 22:57

I found the details of my Chelsea Pensioner by searching the National Archives catalogue (PROCAT). I only searched by his name. This gave me a war office reference number. I believe you can then request copies to be posted out from the NA. Its difficult with common names, my guy was Samuel Baker, but census records gave me enough details e.g age, place of birth, regiment, to find the right guy (NA lists some brief details such as service years, birthplace etc, so you can get the right records.) I would also be interested in any other avenues to further explore. Sarah