Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a death date..................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Jun 2003 17:13

Could someone please tell me how I find a female ancestor's date of deathI can find the birth date, but when it comes to finding the date they died I don't know what to do, because the name will be their married name on the certificate, and I dont know who they married. Thankyou again for all the help I get on this site, so many helpful people out there . From Sue....................................

Graham

Graham Report 25 Jun 2003 17:18

This looks to be an almost impossible request. Do you have any idea where the death occurred and when? I have the NBI but it's coverage is meagre to say the least and I fear you would end up with lots of records which would only cloud the issue. Tell us a bit more and let's see what can be done. Graham

Lynne

Lynne Report 25 Jun 2003 18:28

Susan If like most of us, you are working backwards, you should have the marriage certificate which gives the father's name and age of the two people involved. From that you work out the year of birth to get the birth cert. If you don't know when the person died it can be difficult. Often on a marriage cert it give the father's name and Deceased, which will give you an idea (working from the child's birth to their marriage)of when they died. Hope that makes sense. Give us more info and you should get plenty of advice. Lynne

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Jun 2003 18:30

Hello Graham, all I have is birth dates of these females From Sue

Pamela

Pamela Report 25 Jun 2003 18:35

Sounds as if you are looking for a shorcut, but there really isnt a way round the relay race, birth-marriage-death one piece of info leads yopu on to the next. If you know the person married the next stage is to find the marriage, you cant really cut out that, you may be able to track someone down using census records if you have an address and the family lived there for a number of years and can see thatthe daughter disappears around 20 either she has marrie dor died. If you have no idea at all when someone died, but know their name and date of birth you can begin 95 to 100 years after the birth date and sweep back through the indexes looking for them, but its best to start with some sort of last know date when they were alive cos you will have looked through nearly 40 years woth of indexes if it turns out they died when they were 60. Pam